- Salary Package: (Level A, Step 6 (PhD)) from $91,991 to $$98, 588, plus 9.5% employer superannuation and annual leave loading.
- Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed term up to 30 June 2021
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
We are seeking a suitably qualified Postdoctoral Research Fellow to join the Advanced Detection and Imaging team based in Department of Physics and Astronomy working on design, fabrication and characterisation of lanthanide-doped nanoparticles as a basis for development of new-generation lifetime-coded bioprobes. Active collaboration with the Biomolecular Discovery group at CNBP Macquarie is anticipated, as well as with groups at the other CNBP nodes. Current projects central to this position include optimisation of growth protocols for upconversion and downconversion lanthanide-doped nanoparticles, multiple-step (core-shell) growth, post-synthesis processing including polymer and other materials encapsulation and surface functionalisation, and characterisation of single nanoparticles and multi-particle matrices.
The successful applicant will work closely with Prof Piper, Associate Investigators Dr Yiqing Lu and Dr Xianlin Zheng, Centre Research Fellow Dr Simone De Camillis, and other CNBP researchers and students to progress further studies in development of lifetime-codable luminescent nanoparticles and their application to development of multiplexed bioassays both ex-vivo and in-vivo. This will involve optimisation of growth protocols for upconversion and downconversion lanthanide-doped nanoparticles, multiple-step (core-shell) growth, post-synthesis processing including polymer and other materials encapsulation and surface functionalisation, and characterisation of single nanoparticles and multi-particle matrices.
The ARC Centre of Excellence for Nanoscale Biophotonics (CNBP) explores new methods of probing nanoscale phenomena in living systems. This Centre has five nodes: the University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia; Macquarie University and University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW; RMIT University Melbourne, Victoria; and Griffith University, Gold Coast, Queensland. We currently number over 200 researchers including 10 Chief Investigators, over 10 international Partner Investigators, Associate Investigators, research staff and postgraduate students. The Centre pursues both fundamental and applied research projects. Its investigators have a strong track record of publications in the top journals and through generation of licensed patents.
The Macquarie University node of CNBP has two major groups focussing on Advanced Detection and Imaging (led by Emeritus Professor Jim Piper, Department of Physics and Astrnomy)) and Biomolecular Discovery (led by Professor Nicki Packer, Department of Molecular Sciences).
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your cv, and must respond to the selection criteria below in a separate document or in your covering letter as part of the application process.
- PhD in a relevant discipline (Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or other discipline with the required specialist knowledge)
- Solid hands-on experience with precision nanoparticle growth including lanthanide-doped materials, automated control of materials growth, and post-synthesis processing and sample preparation
- Experience in nanoparticle characterisation including mechanical and optical properties
- Exposure to other disciplines (eg Biomolecular or Biomedical Sciences) and a willingness to cross discipline boundaries
- Publication record in leading research journals commensurate with experience
- Excellent communication skills, preferably across multiple disciplines
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a broader team, including with PhD students
- Highly motivated by problem-solving research (applied sciences) leading to the solutions to the key problems in the field
• Knowledge/experience with advanced optical microscopy, spectrometry
• Experience in designing laboratory control software (e.g LabView, Matlab, C++)
General Enquiries: Anne Kumanan, HR Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Friday, 28 June 2019 at 11:55pm
To Apply: www.jobs.mq.edu.au
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.