As a modern maximum-care hospital with a capacity of approximately 1,540 beds, the University Hospital of Cologne is dedicated to the practice of innovative academic medical excellence. At the Faculty of Medicine 1.800 scientists are engaged in research, ranging from basic sciences to clinical application, as well as teaching and health care. Together with the University Hospital Cologne the faculty maintains 58 clinics, research institutes and centres. 3.400 students study in this dynamic and innovative environment. The Faculty of Medicine and the University Hospital Cologne are embedded in the scientifically highly active Rhine region. They have strong contacts to and alliances with the surrounding universities and non-university research institutions guaranteeing scientific excellence in research and teaching.
The Division of Neurogenetics and Molecular Psychiatry (Head Dr. Alfredo Ramirez) at the Department of Psychiatry at the University Hospital Cologne is seeking applications for a full-time
Postdoctoral fellow (f/m/x)
to be employed under a limited-time, to the next possible date until 30. april 2023, which can be prolonged.
In the context of a European-funded proposal, the division of Neurogenetics has obtained funding to investigate the involvement of inflammatory markers as mediators of the effect of ageing on the development of Alzheimer’s disease dementia. The present proposal will build on the hypothesis that chronic systemic inflammation and neuroinflammation, quantified through a set of inflammatory mediators, accelerates the speeds with which the brain ages, thus allowing to predict future cognitive decline and dementia. In addition, we will generate combined Risk profiles which provide personalized information on the risk of progression to dementia, by integrating data generated on these inflammatory mediators, genetics, known AD biomarkers, and comorbidities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Candidates interested in applying computational tools to analyze large biomedical data sets to understand and target Alzheimer’s disease are encouraged to apply.
- You will be involved in coordination of the activities of the consortium.
- Using this sample, the candidate will be involved in the development of novel mathematical and statistical methods to analyse genetics of cognitive decline.
- Perform integrative analysis of GWAS datasets and deep-sequencing datasets within the framework of international collaborations.
- Integrate different available “omics” datasets to identify predictive patterns of disease progression in predementia stages of Alzheimer’s disease.
- You must hold a degree in statistics, mathematics, physics, or computer science with advanced knowledge in molecular biology; or a degree in biological science with substantial experience in computational and statistical work.
- Proven expertise in at least one of the following programming languages: R, Python, or Matlab.
- Knowledge in databases and human genetics, as well as evidence of German language proficiency will be considered a plus.
- Cooperation with a competent and open, interdisciplinary team with expertise on computational genomics, integrative bioinformatics, neuropsychology, molecular biology, and translational research.
- Varied and challenging work in a highly interesting and challenging environment.
Your salary will be based on TV-L.
Applications from female candidates are expressly welcome and will be given priority in the event of equal suitability, competence and professional performance.
People with disabilities are welcome to apply and will be treated preferentially in the event of equal suitability and qualification.
The position is suitable for staffing with part-time employees.
Please address the E-Mail enquiries to Priv.-Doz. Dr. Dr. Alfredo Ramirez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Further information is available on the internet at https://psychiatrie-psychotherapie.uk-koeln.de/.
Have we awakened your interest? Please submit your application (including a detailed CV, list of publications, two references and a brief statement of research interests) online.
We prefer online applications, but you also have the opportunity to apply via regular mail by 12. july 2020 quoting the reference number 00001794 to