Postdoctoral Fellow / Bioinformatics / Data Analyst
IUSM – Medicine – Hematology/Oncology
IU School of Medicine Indianapolis
A bioinformatics position in the laboratory of Dr. Walker is available to work in translational research studies in multiple myeloma. We are seeking highly motivated, enthusiastic and creative individuals to become a member of our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for the analysis of various types of patient genomic, epigenomic and transcriptomic data, as well as the development and maintenance of computational pipelines.
This is a great opportunity to quickly acquire high-in-demand bioinformatics skills, develop and publish new analysis tools/pipelines, analyze challenging datasets, and be a co-author on multiple high-impact manuscripts.
Recent publications from the Walker lab: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/brian.walker.1/bibliography/public/
• Use existing bioinformatics pipelines to analyze the molecular patient data generated in the clinical lab including whole genome, exome, RNA sequencing and single cell analysis.
• Perform quality analysis of the generated sequencing data and develop solutions to enhance future performance
• Perform different types of data analysis relating to the genomics-based approaches utilized by the lab, in an independent fashion.
• Maintain and troubleshoot existing bioinformatics pipelines
• Develop new bioinformatics pipelines to support new molecular assays
• Develop new methods for multi-omics data analysis and integration
• Work with lab users to analyze biomedical data and address clinical and research needs using bioinformatics techniques and tools
• Present results of the analyses to the team members
• Support the team in its common research goals
• Advises appropriate personnel of situations/problems requiring intervention or follow-up attention.
Additional Position Specific Responsibilities:
• Maintains confidentiality of all research information.
• Provides guidance, cooperates, communicates and relates well to all levels of staff
• Other duties as assigned
• To qualify you must have a B.S. in Bioinformatics, System Biology, Computer Science or related field
• Knowledge of biology and understanding of key and complex biological concepts (genes, pathways, cancer)
• Attention to detail and ability to work on multiple projects
• Experience in Unix/Linux systems including high-performance computing environments
• Strong programming skills in Matlab, R and/or Python
• Knowledge of algorithms, data structures, machine learning, and statistics
• Expert in sequencing data analysis
• Expert in creating customized sequencing analysis pipelines
• Expert in executing standard bioinformatics pipelines
• Excellent communication skills with proficiency in written and oral English
• Strong communication skills (e.g., put together reports and presentations)
• Strong analytical skills
• Ability to work independently (e.g., find papers relevant to the subject, assess methods, implement methods, and apply them to datasets to reproduce results)
• Ability to function in a multidisciplinary team including MD’s and PhD’s
• Ability to work under stress/deadlines
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
Applicants can apply online: http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/9162
IU is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse learning environment and supporting the professional development of ethnic minorities, women, and people with disabilities. The IUSM strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. The IUSM provides concierge and dual career services to assist new faculty with their personal or family’s relocation needs.