We offer a Postdoc Position at the NeptunLab and the Freiburg Material Research Centre (FMF). The NeptunLab is the highly interdisciplinary research group of Prof. Bastian E. Rapp at the Department of Microsystems Technology (IMTEK) at the University of Freiburg. The Freiburg Material Research Centre of the University of Freiburg is one of Europe’s leading cross-disciplinary academic research institution on the forefront of material research and science. The research interests include the development of novel materials, technologies and processes for structuring materials and industrial applications with a focus on the combination of organic and inorganic materials. The work of the NeptunLab is published in the most important international journals including Advanced Materials, Angewandte Chemie, Science as well as Nature and has been featured in national and international radio and print media including the BBC, the New York Times and the Discovery Channel.
The research of the FMF is focused on various material systems and makes use of the state-of-the-art instrumentation and equipment for material characterization. This position is a hybrid appointment as group leader at the NeptunLab and the FMF heading the Group Rheology. The group is a core facility of the FMF and supports the center’s members with all questions around material rheology. Two technicians (50 % FTE each) will be part of this group. You will be actively contributing to the Joint Research Network on Advanced Materials and Systems (JONAS), which is a joint research activity of Strasbourg University, Freiburg University, and ETH Zurich as well as BASF. It is expected that you develop your own scientific projects and your own scientific group under the guidance of Prof. Rapp strengthening your scientific profile and international visibility and acquiring funding for scientific projects. You will also be involved in teaching and administrative obligations aside from research. The contract contains a probationary period of six months and is limited to two years – with the possibility of extension if the scientific conduct is excellent and the candidate proves suitable for an academic career.
We are looking for a highly motivated scientist, who is interested in polymer rheology and characterization at the forefront of science.
Your Activities and Responsibilities
- Polymer characterization and research
- Rheology of polymers and blends
- Supervision of PhDs, Master and Bachelor Students as well as technicians
- Writing of grant proposals
Your Qualification Profile
- PhD in material science, physics or, chemical engineering or chemistry or related subjects
- Profound knowledge of polymer characterization techniques and polymer rheology
- Knowledge of polymer processing techniques including polymer replication and lithographic techniques is beneficial
- Excellent academic track record
- Excellent English skills in reading and writing, German skills are beneficial and should be developed if not suitably developed
- You should be a team player with ambitions who has experience in guiding and teaching employees; communication is key for you to fit in with the many projects of the NeptunLab and the FMF that can profit from your skills
- You should be able to structure and document your work properly
- You should be a creative mind, developing your own ideas and willing to go the extra mile to generate outstanding scientific results.
- An interdisciplinary work environment within the five groups of the NeptunLab, with responsibility for your own PhD students as well as a key position within the FMF’s core service groups
- Possibility to visit national and international conferences
- Possibility to develop and pursue your own scientific ideas
- The possibility to build your scientific career in a highly ambitious laboratory with many different projects and a strong focus on publications and publicity
- Well-funded projects with access to excellent state-of-the art infrastructure, generous lab space and scientific equipment
- A lab structure that promotes the development of the individual members and fosters open-minded scientific discussions
- An environment that supports start-up mentality – if your research is industrially applicable and promising, we will move towards commercialization of your solution
- Payment of TV-L 13 100 % (monthly gross salary ~3830 €)
- Letter of motivation
- academic track record (grades)
- publication list
- reference letter(s) and/or references