Postdoc Position: Metabolic imbalance and tumor development
University Medical Center Groningen, Department of Pediatrics
The University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG) is one of the largest medical centers in The Netherlands. More than 13.000 employees provide patient care and medical education and perform biomedical research. The environment is ambitious, dynamic, and international, with state-of-the-art facilities. You will have the opportunity to perform cutting-edge research in the Department of Pediatrics, in the building of the Fout! De hyperlinkverwijzing is ongeldig., and to work with renowned scientists in the fields of glucose/lipid homeostasis, metabolic diseases and cancer.
Adjustment of cellular metabolism is a well-known hallmark of cancer cells. Conversely deranged metabolism can also be a driver of tumor initiation, as metabolic diseases are associated with cancer. However, the oncogenic role metabolic imbalance is poorly understood. The aim of this project is to identify new mechanisms linking intracellular metabolism to tumor initiation and -progression, both at the cellular level as well as in mouse models.
What do we ask
- Highly motivated candidate with an interest in metabolism and oncology.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Oncology, Cell Biology, Medicine or a related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work independently and in a research group.
- Experience in the fields of metabolism and oncology is an advantage, as is experience with mouse and/or organoid models, cell biology, and molecular techniques.
- Animal experimentation forms an essential part of this project.
What do we offer
- Job duration is 1 year with possible extension.
- The position is full-time (36 hours/week).
- Preferred starting date: between January 1st and March 1st, 2020.
Your salary will be a maximum of € 4,481 gross per month (scale 10), depending on your qualifications and relevant experience, based on a full-time appointment.
In addition, the UMCG will offer you 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Medical Centres (CAO-UMC). English: http://www.nfu.nl/english/about-the-nfu/
For additional information regarding this vacancy, please contact:
Dr. Maaike Oosterveer, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (please, don’t use for applications)
The UMCG has a preventive Hepatitis B policy. The UMCG can provide you with the vaccination, should it be required for your position.
In case of specific professions a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ is required.
You can apply until 3 November 2019.
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.