The Enhanced Regenerative Medicine Research Line invites applications for 1 post-doc position to conduct brain slice and brain organoid electrophysiology experiments within the context of a cross-disciplinary European project aimed at repairing the epileptic brain by means of functional intelligent biohybrids.
The project aims at demonstrating the proof-of-concept that a biohybrid interplay can be successfully established to achieve controlled brain regeneration. The biohybrid construct will merge together bioengineered hippocampal tissue (graft), mammalian brain tissue (host), a neuromorphic chip (artificial counterpart) and artificial intelligence (coordinator).
This is a high-risk/high-gain visionary project funded by the EU FET Proactive scheme (Grant Agreement n. 824164 – Acronym: HERMES – Title:“Hybrid Enhanced Regenerative Medicine Systems”). The research consortium gathers together experts in tissue/organoid bioengineering, biomaterials, in vitro and in vivo electrophysiology, neuromorphic engineering, machine learning, artificial intelligence, communication, philosophy, ethics and policy. If selected, you will work in a highly stimulating environment promoting close collaboration with all these experts.
Your work will mainly consist of brain slice and brain organoid MEA/silicon probes electrophysiology, using open-loop and closed-loop architectures based on Simulink environment and custom boards designed and fabricated by the project partners.
Within the team, you will contribute to:
• designing and conducting electrophysiology experiments
• collecting, analyzing and interpreting experimental data
• archiving experimental data according to the Data Management Plan
• preparing the project periodic reports
• tutoring PhD students under the PI supervision
Fundamental experimental skills:
• strong track record of hands-on experience with brain slice electrophysiology (MEA and/or field potential recording) applied to in vitro models of temporal lobe epilepsy such as 4-aminopyridine or zero magnesium
• knowledge of network interactions in temporal lobe epilepsy, particularly the hippocampus-cortex interplay
• experience with electrical stimulation protocols, such as electrical modulation of epileptiform activity, LTP, LTD, paired-pulse facilitation and depression
Fundamental personal skills:
• capable of working in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines
• team-oriented collaborative attitude
• highly motivated, curious and goal-oriented
• creative thinking
• proactive mindset and independent thinking
• excellent written and spoken English
• FELASA or equivalent personal certification
• hands-on experience with the pilocarpine model of temporal lobe epilepsy
• knowledge of MATLAB programming language and Simulink environment
• signal processing
• work experience within multi/cross-disciplinary teams
• international experience
• work experience with commercial/industrial companies
The application package should include:
• extended CV, highlighting the names of supervisors and 1-2 lines describing your specific contribution within multi-authored publications
• letter of motivation (max 1 page)
• 2-3 letters of reference including the name and contact information of the referees
The letter of motivation should not be a summary of the CV, but it should describe your long-term research vision, the reason for applying to be part of our team and why you think you are the right candidate to fill this position.
The position is available immediately upon selection according to the necessary arrangements.
The salary will be commensurate to experience and qualification and in line with international standards.
For informal questions please contact Dr Gabriella Panuccio at email@example.com.
Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia – IIT – was founded with the objective of promoting Italy’s technological development and further education in science and technology. In this sense, IIT’s scientific program is based on the combination between basic scientific research and the development of technical applications, a major inspirational principle. Research areas cover scientific topics of high innovative content, representing the most advanced frontiers of modern technology with wide application possibilities in various fields ranging from medicine to industry, from computer science to robotics, life sciences, and nanobiotechnology.
Please note that the data that you provide will be used exclusively for the purpose of professional profiles’ evaluation and selection, and in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone +39 010 71781 – email: dpo[at]iit.it)
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.