APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: June 30th 2022
Human Technopole (HT) is a new interdisciplinary life science research institute, created and supported by the Italian Government, with the aim of developing innovative strategies to improve human health. HT is composed of five Centres: Computational Biology, Structural Biology, Genomics, Neurogenomics and Health Data Science. The Centres work together to enable interdisciplinary research and to create an open, collaborative environment that will help promote life science research both nationally and internationally.
The Human Technopole Foundation is looking for a highly motivated Postdoctoral researcher in integrative mRNA biology to work in the Functional Genomics Research Centre in the laboratory of Dr. Lorenzo Calviello: https://humantechnopole.it/en/research-groups/calviello-group/
The Calviello Lab is a hybrid experimental/computational research group interested in post-transcriptional gene regulation, with a focus on translation and its connections to mRNA and proteome dynamics.
The Post-doctoral fellow will use unbiased biochemical approaches to characterize molecular composition, binding and functions of cytoplasmic ribonucleoparticles (RNPs) in a subcellular-resolved fashion, coupling the throughput and resolution of -omics technologies with examination of cell organization and macromolecular structure, with a focus on the outcome of post-transcriptional gene expression misregulation in neuropathies.
The successful candidate will report to and receive support from Dr. Calviello and will work in collaboration with other lab members. Collaborations and interactions with anyone on the HT campus are encouraged, to develop independent research projects and prepare for a successful career in interdisciplinary science.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The Post-doctoral fellow will:
- Identify and establish robust experimental workflows for protein-RNA complex isolation, using immunoprecipitation, nuclease footprinting, ultracentrifugation, chromatography and related methods.
- Combine RNP complex isolation with -omics technologies (i.e. short-long read NGS, quantitative proteomics) aimed at providing a systems-wide view on cytoplasmic molecular processes.
- Present results and ideas to other colleagues in the group, the institute, and the larger scientific community in the form of talks, scientific papers, short methods report and review articles, towards developing their own research interests and fostering successful collaborations.
- Show interest in applying computational methods for data analysis and integration with pre-existing datasets.
Write reproducible protocols (and code) in electronic format.
- A PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or closely related discipline.
- Strong interest in the mechanisms of translation regulation, and its connections with other cytoplasmic molecular processes.
- Proven track record (in the form of scientific publications) of independent research activity in the field of mRNA biology and/or cell biology.
- Required experimental qualifications:
- Standard molecular biology techniques (e.g. molecular cloning, mammalian tissue culture).
- RNA and protein biochemistry (PCR methods, western blotting).
- Protein-RNA complex isolation (ultracentrifugation techniques, immunoprecipitation).
- Familiarity with Ribo-seq, CLIP-seq, RIP-seq and related methods (highly desired).
- Subcellular fractionation and organelle isolation.
- Foundations of statistics and transcriptomics data analysis concepts.
- Additional desired experimental skills:
- NGS library preparation.
- Quantitative mass spectrometry (with an interest in targeted proteomics approaches).
- Chromatographic methods.
- Cell biology methods (e.g. immunostaining, flow cytometry, smFISH).
- CRISPR genome engineering.
- Fluency in English – HT is an international research institute.
- Motivation to interact lively with colleagues in the lab, other departments, and the larger scientific community in various events (journal clubs, lab meetings, seminars, international conferences, etc.).
- Strong communication skills and respect for their own and other colleagues’ work, towards fostering a transparent, collaborative, stimulating, and welcoming scientific environment.
- Willingness in identifying third-party funding sources, towards promoting growth into full academic independence.
- Openness, transparency, and emotional intelligence skills to join a growing and diverse working environment.
- Special consideration will be given to candidates who are part of the protected categories list, according to L. 68/99.
Please apply by sending a CV, a motivation letter in English, and contact details for 3 referees.
HT offers a highly collaborative, international and diverse work environment. The working language is English. HT will foster top quality, interdisciplinary research by promoting a vibrant environment consisting of independent research groups that will attract outstanding graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. HT scientists will have full access to cutting-edge Core Facilities.
HT is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to a leading, internationally competitive research organization. HT seeks to promote a collegial and family-friendly atmosphere.
The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation. Researchers coming to Italy for the first time, or returning after residing abroad, benefit from very attractive income tax benefits.
For specific enquires concerning the role only, please contact Lorenzo Calviello, Group Leader of Calviello Lab at Lorenzo.email@example.com.
Number of positions offered: 1
Contract offered: CCNL Chimico Farmaceutico, fixed term 4 years – Employee level