Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts,Praktikum
DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The DESY ATLAS Detector Development Group in Zeuthen is responsible for the development and construction of a significant fraction of the silicon strip detector modules for the ATLAS Phase-II tracking detector upgrade. The production phase is close at hand and the current major focus is on module quality and performance tests. There are opportunities to perform generic detector R&D within the ATLAS group or collaborating with the astroparticle detector development group. For the project we are looking for an experienced scientist in the field of detector physics and development.
- Development of testing procedures and setups in coordination with the international ITk strip tracker project
- Assembly and quality control of ITk strip tracker modules
- Supervision of students
- Documentation of procedures and results and presentation in international meetings
- Own research in either detector physics or HEP data analysis
- Ph.D. in physics or similar discipline
- Experience in work with silicon tracking detectors or similar instrumentation
- Ability and wish to work in a team environment and to supervise students
- Very good language and communication skills
- Preferably experience in working with cleanrooms, electronics and with python/C++/ROOT
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
Please send your application quoting the reference code APPO003/2020, also by E-Mail toDeutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY Human Resources Department | Code: APPO003/2020 Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg | 22607 Hamburg Germany Phone: +49 40 8998-3392 Deadline for applications: www.desy.de
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany’s largest scientific organisation.