PhD student (m/f/x)
Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Chemistry and Molecular diagnostics
20 hours / week, limited contract (until 31.05.2021, with possibility of extension)
Salary scale of the University hospital Leipzig (UKL)
The earliest possible joining date is 01.06.2020
Four PhD student position are available in the research group of Prof. Berend Isermann at the Institute of Laboratory Medicine at Leipzig University. The projects aim at studying the role of coagulation proteases and IL-1 beta signaling across the blood brain barrier (1), to study the interplay of coagulation proteases with glomerular function in diabetic nephropathy (2), to study the role of coagulation proteases on the interaction between placenta (especially trophoblast cells), endothelial cells and immune system in the context of pregnancy complications (preeclampsia, IUGR, placental insufficiency) (3) and to analyse different gene expression datasets by bioinformatics (4). The main focus is to study cell-cell-interaction at defined barriers using in-vitro and in-vivo models and to determine the translational relevance of our results. Leipzig is a young and soaring city harboring several renowned science institutes and hence a competitive and very stimulating scientific community.
Please also have a look at our publications to get an idea about our research interests: Ranjan, Isermann, Nature Commun 2017; Nazir, Isermann, Blood 2017; Kohli, Isermann, Blood 2016; Madhusudhan, Isermann, Nature Commun 2015; Shahzad, Isermann; Kidney Int 2015.
The project involves:
• Applying various cell culture methods to co-culture different cell types and to analyze maladaptative cellular communication.
• Investigation of different genetically modifies mouse models.
• Investigation of specific and novel molecular interactions in various in vivo disease conditions.
• Applying various methods of ex vivo analysis, including co-immunoprecipitation, western blotting, epigenetics and single-cell sequencing.
• Microscopic analysis techniques such as live cell imaging, microfluidics, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence and electron microscopy
• Dedication to science, commitment to the work, open and communicative personality
• Successful completion of master degree in life sciences (biology, biochemistry, biotechnology)
• Relevant research experience (preferably international) and good english communication skills
• Comprehensive detailed knowledge in molecular biology, cell culture, mRNA, protein and DNA analysis, knowledge of immunophenotyping techniques such as FACS, epigenetics and cloning techniques
• Comprehensive detailed knowledge in cell-culture, cell-migration, cell-proliferation, co-culture models and cell-death are required
• Knowledge in the field of developmental biology, the vascular system, placental biology and / or immunology is preferable
• Knowledge in the field of bioinformatics is preferable
As a public employer in the heart of Leipzig, we stand for a corporate culture in which cooperation for the best care of our patients is paramount. As a maximum provider with 27 clinics and about 4,000 employees, we provide groundbreaking technical specialization as well as state-of-the-art structural and technical infrastructure.
Please send your applications not later than 15.05.2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application should include:
1) Full curriculum vitae, publication list, information on years of experience in research and laboratory work including the methods you already know and you are experienced
2) Names and contact information (email and telephone numbers) of 3 references
3) A summary of research interests and long-term plans
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.
By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data provided in the context of the application Data will be processed for the purpose of the application. The information on the collection and processing of personal data for applicants you will find here.
For information on the application process, please contact Dr. Ronald Biemann at +49 341 / 97-22473 or email@example.com
The applications are accepted exclusively via the applicant portal.
Severely handicapped applicants are given preferential treatment if they are equally qualified. Please add appropriate evidence to your application.