Institute of Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Chemistry and Molecular diagnostics
20 hours / week
limited contract (until 31.12.2021, with possibility of extension)
Salary scale of the University hospital Leipzig (UKL)
The earliest possible joining date is 01.12.2019
A PhD student position is available in the research group of Prof. Berend Isermann at the Institute of Laboratory Medicine at Leipzig University. The main aim of the project is the identification of circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA), circulating tumor RNA (ctRNA), or circulating tumor cells (CTCs) in cancer patients (liquid profiling). The project involves identification of promising candidate markers in established patient cohorts and translation of the identified markers into clinical routine practice. New methods to analyze RNA will be developed and employzed.
A second focus is the identification of tissue-specific DNA methylation patterns in patients with progressive diseases such as type I diabetes or multiple sclerosis.
The project involves:
- Applying digital droplet PCR (ddPCR) for the detection of rare mutation variants in circulating tumor cells (CTCs), circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) or RNA (ctRNA)
- Collaboration with clinical projects partners in order to validate prognostic molecular markers in patient cohorts
- Prospective analysis of the identified markers in current cancer patients
- Identification of tissue-specific DNA methylation patterns in patient blood samples using ddPCR and development of early-detection models in progressive diseases
- Development of new methods to isolate and characterizes RNA and DNA in extracellular vesicles
- Successful completion of master’s degree in life sciences (biology, biochemistry, biotechnology)
- Relevant research experience (preferably international) and good English communication skills
- Comprehensive detailed knowledge in molecular biology, mRNA, protein and DNA analysis and epigenetics
- Applicants with research experience in circulating tumor cells, ctDNA/ctRNA, or extracellular vesicles are preferred.
As a public employer in the heart of Leipzig, we stand for a corporate culture in which cooperation for the best care of our patients is paramount. As a maximum provider with 27 clinics and about 4,000 employees, we provide groundbreaking technical specialization as well as state-of-the-art structural and technical infrastructure.
Please send your applications not later than 30.11.2019 to email@example.com.
Your application should include:
1) Full curriculum vitae, publication list, information on years of experience in research and laboratory work including the methods you already know and you are experienced;
2) Names and contact information (email and telephone numbers) of 3 references;
3) A summary of research interests and long term plans;
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.
By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data provided in the context of the application Data will be processed for the purpose of the application. The information on the collection and processing of personal data for applicants you will find here.
For information on the application process, please contact Dr. Ronald Biemann at 0049 341 / 97-22455 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The applications are accepted exclusively via the applicant portal.
Severely handicapped applicants are given preferential treatment if they are equally qualified. Please add appropriate evidence to your application.