OncoRay – Center for Radiation Research in Oncology aims to develop innovative methods for biologically individualized, technologically optimized radiation therapy for improving cancer treatment. OncoRay has been established in 2005 as an interdisciplinary research center by the University of Technology Dresden, the University Hospital Dresden and the Helmholtz Center Dresden-Rossendorf. It is located at the Faculty of Medicine and offers high-level research facilities, internationally acknowledged expertise in translational cancer and radiation research, and a dedicated postgraduate school with an MSc and a PhD program. The Institute for Medical Informatics and Biometry (IMB) is part of the Carl Gustav Carus Faculty of Medicine at the Technische Universität Dresden. The IMB is actively engaged in various research projects within the fields of cancer systems biology and systems medicine and trains students in the fields of biometry, bioinformatics and systems Medicine.
The research groups “Molecular and Cellular Radiobiology” at OncoRay (head: Prof. Nils Cordes) and “Bioinformatics Core Unit” at IMB (head: Dr. Michael Seifert) are seeking for a highly motivated and technically skilled
PhD Student (f/m/x)
This Part-Time Position is limited for 36 months.
The student has the tasks to analyze DNA mutation, transcriptome and kinome data of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas utilizing established bioinformatics tools (e. g. statistical tests, probabilistic models, network inference and propagation). Additionally, the student needs to identify novel targets in head and neck cancers, uncover the underlying molecular mechanisms of therapy resistance in head and neck cancers, and characterize the radiochemosensitizing effects of novel multi-targeting approaches in head and neck cancers in-vitro and in-vivo.
• Master’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular/Cell Biology or related fields
• Excellent knowledge and practical experience in experimental techniques covering cell and molecular biology and protein biochemistry
• Strong interest and first practical experience in bioinformatics data analysis
• Background knowledge in cancer research and bioinformatics
• Good knowledge and practice with MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Power Point) and programming skills®
• Ability to work independently, efficiently and goal-oriented
• Very good knowledge of the English language and willing to work interdisciplinary combining cancer biology and bioinformatics in an international Team
We offer you the possibility of:
• Arranging for flexible working hours to find a balance between work and family life
• Using our internal prevention program including courses and fitness in our Carus Vital health Center
• Taking part in job-oriented educational course in our Carus Akademie
• Providing for the future in the form of a company pension plan
• A Position according to the TV-L conditions (E13; 65 %)
Women are explicitly invited to apply. Handicapped persons will be preferred in case of equal qualification.
We kindly ask you to apply preferably via our online form until March, 31st 2020 with Registration number ZIK0920019 to make the selection process faster and more effective. Of course, we also consider your written application without any disadvantages.