The Laboratory for Membrane Trafficking, headed by Wim Annaert is part of the Department of Neurosciences and of the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research (CBD) at KU Leuven/ Campus Gasthuisberg, focusing on different aspects of neuronal connectivity and synapse biology in the context of neurodevelopment and neurodegeneration. The VIB-CBD hosts 18 research groups with over 300 neuroscience researchers from almost 40 different nationalities.
Our laboratory explores the basic molecular mechanisms underlying early stages of neurodegenerative diseases, with a particular focus on endo-lysosomal transport regulation related to risk genes implemented in late onset Alzheimer’s disease (project 1) and Dementia with Lewy Bodies (project 2). Our research combines biochemistry and molecular/cell biology methods in neuronal cultures (including from iPSCs) and in vivo (mice) systems. Herein, we apply state-of-the-art imaging including live super-resolution and single molecule localization microscopy.
We are looking for highly motivated PhD students with a keen interest in neurodegeneration and a strong commitment to basic research to join our team of researchers.
- Should hold a Master degree with distinction in biomedical sciences, medicine or bio-engineering
- Should be a team player with good communication and writing skills
- Should have a good mastery of the English language
- Experience in neuronal cell culture and/or in vivo mice models will be of added value.
Please note that you should be eligible to obtain a personal fellowship with the FWO:
- A fulltime 1-year contract extendable to 4 years to work in an enthusiastic and dynamic scientific environment.
- The VIB-Center for Brain & Disease (CBD) Research at KU Leuven provides ample opportunities to present and share data on weekly seminars, lectures and international conferences.
- Different state-of-the-art core facilities are available for all CBD researchers.
Starting date: September
How to apply?
For additional information, please contact Wim Annaert.
Applications should be submitted through the VIB HR application tool. Please complete the online application procedure and include a CV, a motivation letter, a summary of research experience (and publications if applicable) and the contact information of 2 referees, one being the mentor of your master thesis. The best-ranked candidates will be invited for an interview.
Profile and selected papers of the Annaert lab: http://www.vib.be/en/research/…
Further info on VIB-CBD: