IAS-7 – Zivile Sicherheitsforschung
Area of research:
The institute section „Civil Safety Research" (IAS-7) of the Institute for Advanced Simulation investigates pedestrian and fire dynamics. Research and teaching are carried out in close cooperation with the Bergische Universität Wuppertal. The Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) provides supercomputing resources and develops scalable software for various scientific communities. In order to evaluate the safety of people in complex structures in the event of fire, numerical calculations can be performed to predict the spread of smoke. This data is linked to simulations of the dynamics of people and thus represent the evacuation during a fire. If different escape routes are available, the choice of the route depends on many factors. One of these may be the limited visibility due to smoke. In the joint project of the JSC and IAS-7 a methodology is to be researched which will allow to investigate the route choice with the help of a VR system (virtual reality).
- VR-representation of the smoke, which is given by space and time dependent data from numerical simulation programs
- Capturing the environment with a camera mounted on the VR headset
- Concept and implementation of dynamically generated objects, such as escape route signs, in VR
- Execution of a demonstrative study with test persons to validate the possibilities of the designed system
- Master degree in engineering or science
- Strong cooperation and communication skills as well as the ability to work in with an international and interdisciplinary team
- Interest in VR technology
- Knowledge of visualisation methods and software development in the Unreal Engine
- Interest in the development of scientific software and programming skills (C++ / Python)
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- A highly motivated group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment at one of Europe`s largest research establishments
- Chance of participating in (international) conferences and project meetings
- Continuous scientific mentoring by your scientific advisor
- Participation in overarching seminars including certificate
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive further training Programme
- A position for 3 years
- Pay in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
- Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.