IEK-10 – Modellierung von Energiesystemen
Area of research:
IEK-10 focuses on the development of models and algorithms for simulation and optimization of decentralized, integrated energy systems. Such systems are characterized by high spatial and temporal variability of energy supply and demand as well as by a high degree of interdependency of material and energy flows. Research at IEK-10 aims to provide scalable and faster than real-time capable methods and tools which enable the energy-optimal, cost-efficient and safe design and operation of future energy systems.
- Analysis of the current state of the art in control of multi-modal energy systems
- Develop innovative control solutions for multi-modal decentralized energy systems
- Support the design and development of a Hardware-in-the-Loop (HiL) laboratory
- Development of real-time capable models for the energy infrastructures on the campus Forschungszentrum Jülich
- Validation of the simulation models on the basis of the energy infrastructures of the campus of Forschungszentrum Jülich
- Excellent university degree (Master) in Electrical / Electronic / Power Systems Engineering or a comparable field
- Strong mathematical background
- Knowledge of modeling, preferably of power systems
- Very good knowledge and experience in programming (e.g. Python, Matlab, C, C++)
- Experiences in mathematical optimization, simulation and machine learning
- Excellent ability for cooperative collaboration
- Very good communication skills in English
- Preferably knowledge of Opal-RT / RTDS
- Preferably knowledge in implementing electrical control circuits and measuring setups
- Possibility of pursuing a PhD at Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at RWTH Aachen University supervised by Prof. Benigni
- A highly motivated research group in one of the biggest research centers in Europe
- An excellent scientific and technical infrastructure: both necessary conditions for a successful PhD thesis at RWTH Aachen within three and a half years
- Participation in project meetings and conferences
- Strong support and mentoring for setting up a future career in science and/or the industry
- Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
- Pay in line with 75 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany’s largest scientific organisation.