We are looking for a highly motivated PhD student with a strong interest in translational cancer research and/or high-throughput microscopy and 3D brain reconstruction. The aim of the project is to map the microenvironment of brain tumors by coupling mouse models with high-resolution serial-two photon tomography (STPT) imaging and/or light-sheet microscopy and iDISCO+. This is a collaborative project with Dr. Pavel Osten’s group at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY, USA. The Osten group has extensive expertise in high-throughput imaging, and image analysis pipelines.
Our lab studies the roles of tumor suppressors and oncogenes in glioma initiation and progression. We use primary tumor models, single-cell genomics, and next-generation sequencing approaches to identify potential vulnerabilities that can be utilized for targeted therapies.
The PhD student will join the Turcan laboratory at Heidelberg University Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany. The project is DFG-funded and initially limited to 3 years with the possibility of extension for 2 additional years. The work mainly includes in vivo mouse models of brain tumors. Using these models, we will perform single-cell/bulk (epi)genomics, and high-throughput light-sheet microscopy and/or STPT to map the brain tumor microenvironment. We plan to establish analytical pipelines for automated detection of cell types and morphologies, along with their 3D spatial distribution.
- Master’s level degree in computer science and/or bioinformatics, or master’s level degree in biology with a strong focus on big data handling/image analysis.
- Experience with computational biology and/or handling imaging data. Preferentially the candidate should be experienced in Matlab, R, and Python with machine learning applications.
- Experience with molecular biology, cell culture methods, and mouse models are preferred, but not necessary.
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary research.
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated team player.
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English.
If interested, please send your CV, degree certificate, transcript of grades, a summary of accomplishments/research interests, and contact information for three references to Dr. Sevin Turcan (email@example.com).