IEK-8 – Troposphäre
Area of research:
The Institute for Energy and Climate Research, Troposphere (IEK-8), investigates the chemical and physical processes in the troposphere that impact the chemical composition of the atmosphere. China is a hot spot of air pollution. During summertime, the most severe air pollutant is ozone. The only chemical source of ozone in the troposphere is the photochemical transformation of inorganic and organic compounds that are emitted by anthropogenic and biogenic sources.
As part of the Joint Research Lab together with Peking University, the IEK-8 will participate in a large field campaign in South China in autumn 2020 aiming for a better understanding of the chemical processes leading to hazardous ozone pollution events. One major contribution of the institute will be the challenging measurement and interpretation of hydroxyl (OH) and peroxy radical (HO2, RO2) concentrations applying laser-induced fluorescence. IEK-8 is one of the worldwide leading institutions in the detection of radicals in the atmosphere. Your tasks in detail:
- Preparation, testing and calibration of the laser instrument for the measurement of high-quality atmospheric radical concentrations in a field campaign.
- Interpretation of radical measurements with the focus on quantifying the ozone production rate and the chemical budget of radicals.
- Performing chemical box modelling to understand the processes that cause high ozone pollution in China.
- Publication of results in peer-reviewed journals.
- Master degree in physics, chemistry, environmental sciences or a related field good final grade (German system equivalent 2.0 or better)
- Knowledge of atmospheric science is of advantage
- Knowledge about instruments for laser spectroscopy is another plus
- Good skills in data evaluation using mathematical script routines
- Ability to work in an international team
- An exciting, inter-disciplinary work at the frontiers of science
- A stimulating, international scientific environment
- Excellent technical facilities and high-end instrumentation
- Participation in international field campaigns, workshops and conferences
- Additional qualifications as part of the graduate school HITEC
- Participation in overarching seminars including certificate
- Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years
- Pay in line with 67,5 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
- Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.