In 2020, five fellowships will be funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation through the ‘Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctores’ 2020 call.
IBEC is one of the top research institutions named as a Severo Ochoa Research Centre by Ministry of Science and Innovation (in charge of research and innovation policy in Spain), which recognizes excellence at the highest international level in terms of research, training, human resources, outreach and technology transfer. The Severo Ochoa award provides 4m€ over 2020-2024 to implement IBEC’s Research and Human Resources Programmes.
PhD fellows at IBEC receive a 4-year contract with a gross annual salary of 17.785€ per year, plus 6.250€ for mobility and training for the 4-year period.
Fellows who finish and defend their PhD thesis before the start of the 4th year of the fellowship will be able to sign a one year postdoctoral contract (POP) with a gross salary of 19.000€.
Download complete information about the programme here.
- Candidates should be ready to enter an official doctoral programme in October 2020 (under Spanish Law). By this time, they must have obtained a university degree and a master’s degree; or must hold an official university qualification from a country of the European Higher Education Area with a minimum of 300 ECTS of official university studies, of which at least 60 are at master’s level.
- Candidates are eligible for a period of 2 years following the end of the MSc or 5 years following the end of the BSc at the time of deadline (March 16th, 2020).
- Candidates must have a strong commitment to scientific research and an excellent academic record.
- Candidates must have good working knowledge of English.
- Candidates must not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Candidates must not have held a PhD contract exceeding twelve months in October 2020.
- Candidates must not have held any fellowship from the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness for the development of a PhD thesis at the time of deadline (March 16th, 2020).
How to apply
Which documents and information do I need to provide with my application?
From 12th February 2020 until 16th March 2020, an online application form will be available through IBEC International PhD Programme dedicated site.
You will be required to provide the following information in your application:
- Personal data and CV
- Cover letter, including motivation for applying
- A scan of your Certified Academic Record, showing grades obtained (degree and masters). If these are not in Catalan, Spanish or English, applicants should attach a translation in one of these languages.
- Education experience: what, when and where you have studied. In order , to standardize the final marks in your application form, we will need that you submit your educational certificate using the relation of scales of foreign grades to the equivalent Spanish grades provided by the General Secretariat of Universities of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport (instructions and template included in the application form) and the ranking of your university according to the Times Higher Education
- Research experience
- Current Status
- Publications, Presentations in conferences, Awards/fellowships
- 2 letters of recommendation from lecturers or researchers with whom you have studied or worked and who can judge your potential as a PhD student. Only letters with official letterhead and signature will be accepted. Reference letters cannot be provided by IBEC’s Group Leaders or associated researchers. Please be sure to inform your referees that their letters must be uploaded in the online application tool before the deadline (March 16th 2020).
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee made up of IBEC group leaders and administration staff.
Applicants CVs will be reviewed in terms of academic record, research experience and additional merits.
In mid-April, results will be communicated. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to contact their preferred group leaders and get to know their research lines and the PhD project. This will serve to evaluate the knowledge and expertise of the candidate related to the particular research project and his/her adequacy to the corresponding research group.
After the talks with the PIs, candidates will be asked to make a final ranked list of their preferred PhD research projects and supervisors.
In May, online interviews of shortlisted candidates will be held. Interviews with the selection committee will evaluate following competencies: communication, critical and analytical thinking, team and collaborative working, commitment, proactivity and open mind.
The interview will also be an opportunity for the candidate to expose any personal requirement or clarify doubts.
On May 25th–29th 2020, the results of the call will be published, and the acceptance letters will be sent to the candidates with the highest scores.
In order of evaluation score, they will be able to choose their final PhD Project and supervisor, taking into account that each PhD research project can only have one fellowship, so if a candidate with a higher score chooses a particular PhD research project, candidates with lower scores will have to choose another one from their list of preferred PhD projects and supervisors.
Fellows should expect to take up their positions at IBEC from Novembre 2020 until April 2021. Please note these are tentative dates and they are subject to the ‘Ayudas para contratos predoctorales para la formación de doctores’ 2020-call from the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness.
Applicants who have not been successful but have received a positive evaluation will be put on a waiting list for future positions.
IBEC is committed to the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (The Charter & Code).
In 2015, IBEC gained the HR Excellence in Research Award in recognition of our ongoing commitment. At the mid-term evaluation in 2017, IBEC was successful in retaining the award.
Our Recruitment and Selection Policy is based on the OTM Strategy (Open, Transparent and Merit-based recruitment) www.ibecbarcelona.eu/jobs/ and accept applications without distinction on any grounds. Candidates with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Our commitment to OTM-R principles can also be found in our Gender and Diversity plan.
In line with the principles defined in the OTM-R procedure, selection processes are governed by the following principles:
- Transparency throughout the whole process
- Equal opportunities in the selection and hiring of personnel
- Non-discrimination on grounds of sex, age, ethnic, national or social origin, religion, sexual orientation, language, disability, political opinions or social and economic condition
- Merit based evaluation
- Confidentiality as the cornerstone of the selection process
- Principle of public dissemination of the selection processes, which must also be internationally comparable