Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full time fixed term position as a research assistant with CURAM at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
This position is funded by Science Foundation Ireland and Factor Bioscience Ltd. and is available from earliest agreed start date in February to contract end date of 30th April 2021.
CURAM is an SFI funded Research Centre based at NUI Galway whose mission is to investigate the application of advanced medical devices and therapeutics in a wide range of disease conditions. In collaboration with Factor Biosciences Ltd, we have established a programme of work to evaluate a rapid acting mRNA based gene therapy approach to the treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and other lung diseases. Preliminary experiments have demonstrated promise for these novel synthetic mRNA vectors and we are now moving into a more intensive preclinical evaluation ahead of anticipated clinical trials.
We are looking for a motivated and dedicated research assistant to augment our established team of basic and clinical researchers. The Lung Biology Group at NUI Galway is interested in gene, cell and protein therapy for a range of infectious and inflammatory conditions, with a strong emphasis on the translational pathway for novel medicines.
Applications are invited for a research assistant to join an ongoing project researching delivery of synthetic mRNA molecules as a gene therapy for lung diseases. The research assistant will work under an experienced postdoctoral researcher already in place on this project.
- · Preparation of mRNA vectors for delivery in vitro and in vivo.
- · Culturing of transformed lung epithelial (or other) cell lines.
- · Assistance in performance of preclinical therapeutic evaluation.
- · Analysis of in vitro and in vivo generated samples by ELISA, Q-PCR and other basic laboratory techniques.
- · Reporting to postdoctoral researcher and principal investigator.
- Undergraduate degree in a biomedical or related subject.
- Understanding of basic laboratory investigation techniques such as protein assay, ELISA, histology and cell culture.
- Good timekeeping and reporting skills.
- Postgraduate degree in a biomedical or related subject.
- Experience of basic laboratory investigation techniques such as protein assay, ELISA, histology and cell culture.
- LAST animal handling course or equivalent.
Employment permit restrictions apply for this category of post
Salary: €22,609-28,008 per annum
Start date: Position is available from the earliest agreed start date in February
Continuing Professional Development/Training:
Researchers at NUI Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans.
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway
For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie
Further information about CURAM is available at http://www.curamdevices.ie/
Informal enquiries concerning the post may be made to Dr. Daniel O’Toole: email@example.com
NB: Gárda vetting is a requirement for this post (as appropriate to Child Protection Policy)
Applications to include a covering letter, CV,and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in word or PDF only) to Dr. Daniel O’Toole: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put reference number NUIG-026-20 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00 pm 20/02/20
Interviews are planned to be held on 27/02/20
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment
National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.