Merck Innovation Cup 2020 – Great minds come together
The Merck Innovation Cup, now in its tenth year, brings together a promising new generation of academic talents from life sciences, material sciences, data sciences and business administration with the company’s senior management, active researchers and accomplished retirees.
If you are a post-graduate student with an interest in the pharmaceutical industry, this is your chance to gain in-depth knowledge about pharmaceutical and chemical research and development, to network with top students from around the world and to build a business case together with experienced professionals. Visit the innovation summer camp near Frankfurt, Germany, June 20-26 2020 and take your chance to win the EUR 20,000 Merck Innovation Cup, while exploring job opportunities at our company.
Who can apply:
We invite advanced students and post-docs in life sciences, computer sciences and business administration from all over the world to apply for participation in the Innovation Cup. 50 students will be selected:
- Sciences: Postgraduate students in the life sciences field on their way towards a PhD in biology, chemistry, medicine, biotech, bioinformatics, biochemistry, pharmacy, informatics, computer science, data science, engineering or related fields. Also Post Docs can apply!
- Business: Advanced MBA students or recent MBA graduates with an interest in the pharmaceutical business and a life science background.
The cup is not open to U.S. healthcare professionals.
How it works:
During a one week summer camp, in June 20-26 2020, 50 selected postgraduate students will attend in-depth presentations about the pharmaceutical and chemical industry given by our management, scientists and external experts. Participants will work in small teams to generate an innovative idea that addresses a scientific challenge and develop the idea into a business plan.
- The team oncology will work on new innovative approaches for the targeted treatment of cancer with small molecules or proteins.
- The team immuno-oncology will work on new innovative approaches for the treatment of cancer via stimulating the immune system and overcoming the immunosuppressive environment of tumors.
- The team autoimmunity will work on new innovative approaches for the treatment of autoimmune diseases such as e.g. Lupus.
- The team drug discovery technologies will work on new innovative approaches to discover and optimize new small molecular drugs or new innovative approaches to design, screen or optimize new protein drugs
- The team drug busters will work on new innovative approaches on how new biological techniques, data science and automation and help to uncover new drug discovery targets or first in class drug candidates at scale in the next 5 years
- The team digitalization will work on new innovative approaches to leverage the power of in-silico for drug discovery and development.
- The team electroceuticals will work on new innovative approaches for medical devices using electrical impulses for use in the cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease.
- The team lithography R&D will work on new innovative approaches to improve lithography materials as current liquid particle equipment does not meet the requirements and smaller particle measurement with good enough stability in both water and organic solvents are highly demanded.
Teams will receive coaching and guidance from experienced veterans of our company, the summer camp moderator and our innovation management. You will learn the essentials about R&D within the pharmaceutical industry and understand how drugs can be successfully discovered, developed and brought to market. You will learn to evaluate your ideas from a technical and business perspective and build a convincing business plan. On the first day of the Innovation Cup, a conference with alumni from previous events will be organized with ample networking opportunities.
On the last day of the Cup, all teams will present their business plans to a grand jury composed of our top management plus external consultants. The jury will select the best business plan and present the winning team with the Innovation Cup award and a cash prize of EUR 20,000 plus EUR 5,000 for the runner-up.
All travel, accommodation and food expenses will be paid by the company.
How do I apply?
Visit http://innovationcup.merckgroup.com for more information on the program, and instructions on how to apply online from November 1st 2019 to January 31st 2020.
Near Frankfurt, Germany, June 20-26, 2020.