Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZ Jülich) is one of the largest research centres in Europe, employing some 6,400 staff who collaborate on interdisciplinary research in various different fields. FZ Jülich is based in the greater Cologne-Aachen region. We are looking to recruit a
Member of the Board of Directors for Scientific Division I (focus: Physics)
(responsible for approx. 1,000 employees)
to take office at the earliest possible date.
As a member of the Helmholtz Association, FZ Jülich makes an effective contribution to solving major challenges facing society in the fields of information, energy, and bioeconomy. The centre focuses on use-inspired basic research and utilizes large, often unique, scientific infrastructures. FZ Jülich sees itself as a driver of and partner in the research value chain, covering everything from basic research to innovation. To achieve its aims, FZ Jülich concentrates on programme-based research and explores new avenues in strategic partnerships with universities, research institutions and industry. FZ Jülich is financed jointly by the Federal Republic of Germany and Land North Rhine-Westphalia, enabling it to conduct vital research in the public interest. Its last reported annual income amounted to €609 million. This sum includes third-party funds totalling €244 million.
• As a Member of the soon-to-be five-person Board of Directors, you will act as Deputy Chair of the Board for the Scientific Divisions at Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH.
• You will assume responsibility for Scientific Division I focusing on physics. Your remit includes the Institute for Advanced Simulation (IAS), the Peter Grünberg Institute (PGI), the Ernst Ruska-Center for Microscopy and Spectroscopy with Electrons (ER-C), the Jülich Centre for Neutron Science (JCNS), and the Helmholtz Nano Facility (HNF).
• You will assume responsibility for staff affairs and budget within your area of remit, in strategic and conceptual alignment with the FZ Jülich strategy developed by the Board of Directors. You will work in close communication with the other Members of the Board, coordinate work with the Committees of FZ Jülich, providers of funding, the Helmholtz Association and the many cooperation partners at universities, scientific institutions, and in industry.
• You will represent the interests of FZ Jülich in your area of responsibility in the national and international research and science policy arena.
• You are a dedicated individual with wide-ranging leadership experience in scientific, research or science-related institutions or in industry.
• You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) and enjoy an excellent reputation in one of the disciplines within Scientific Division I for which you will assume responsibility. Your experience goes beyond the scope of your own scientific activities and you are able to act as ambassador of the full scope of research in your remit.
• You are an excellent communicator at all levels, sociable, flexible; you put forward ideas, inspire people and use networks for the benefit of the greater public good. Your conduct is professional, inclusive and inspires confidence. You demonstrate keen political awareness.
• In addition, your strengths include decisiveness, organizational talent, strategic vision, analytical thinking, and assertiveness. Your work approach is geared towards problem solving and serving the centre’s cause. You are accustomed to optimising structures and processes and managing projects of a complex nature.
• You need to have a basic knowledge of German and the willingness to improve your German language skills.
• Opportunity to engage with scientific issues highly relevant for society and with great freedom of scope
• Performance-related pay: German federal “W” salary scale + incentive pay + merit pay based on target performance agreement
• The appointment is initially set for a period of 5 years, with the possibility of reappointment
• Professional and personal development
• Combining Family and Career: Forschungszentrum Jülich has been certified as ‘family-friendly’ under the “audit berufundfamilie” scheme
• Dual Career Support and Relocation Service
• Work in a (border) region with high public amenity value
The members of the Helmholtz Association are strong advocates of equal opportunities in employment relations. Applications from women are particularly encouraged.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
FZ Jülich has appointed a selection committee for the recruitment procedure. The selection committee will be assisted by recruitment consultants BELOW TIPPMANN & COMPAGNIE PERSONALBERATUNG GMBH, Behrenstraße 29, 10117 Berlin.
If this level of responsibility coupled with a large scope of freedom appeals to you, please send your application documents* by email only to email@example.com. Please direct telephone enquiries to Simone Pfister, Prof. Jürgen Staupe or Michael Tippmann at +49 (0)30 20 63 279-0.
We look forward to receiving your electronic application by July 9, 2020.
*Data protection notice:
Applicants are hereby informed that their application documents will be made available to a selection committee comprising members of the Supervisory Board and the Scientific and Technical Council (WTR) at Forschungszentrum Jülich, the Helmholtz Association and external experts and guests, and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. Please see the information on data protection and the processing of personal data in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation: www.fz-juelich.de.