IEK-3 – Techno-ökonomische Systemanalyse
Area of research:
Diploma & Master Thesis
Contract time limit:
Background:The IEK-3 develops energy system models for the analysis of the transformational processes taking place in the supply and use of energy in Germany and beyond. The main goal of the institutes is the provision of actionable knowledge for energy transformation for decision-makers in politics and business.
To increase the transparency and comprehensiveness of the developed solutions and strategies, interfaces are required to visualize the change of the environment, e.g. due to renewable resources. Thereby, the goal is to increase the acceptance of the citizens to the transformation processes, and such accelerate it.
In this current thesis, the objective is to embed planned wind parks in an augmented reality. Existing models of the IEK-3 provide already the geolocations of the wind turbines, their turbine height, and their rotor diameter. This data shall be embedded in a mobile augmented reality application developed by the Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) with the help of the Unreal Engine.
This thesis will be supervised by the IEK-3 and the JSC together.
- Literature research on augmented reality applications
- Application of existing Python libraries for wind park planning
- Design of a software architecture to communicate wind park model data to the application
- Embed wind turbine models and placement in the Unreal Engine
- Develop and embed methods to visualize shadowing of the virtual wind turbines depending on day and time
- Write the thesis
Your Profile:Very good academic marks computer science or related fields of study. Ability to work autonomously and analytically within a project team. Ideally you already have experience in modelling, programming (preferred in Python) and a high affinity to data visualization.
- A pleasant working environment within a highly competent, international team in one of the most prestigious research facilities in Europe.
- You will be supported by top-end scientific and technical infrastructure as well as close guidance by experts.
- You will have the opportunity to work with excited researchers from various scientific fields and take part in the design of a future German and European energy system.
- Your work is renumerated.
Depending on your performance, the small work packages can be adapted.