IEK-3 – Techno-ökonomische Systemanalyse
Area of research:
Diploma & Master Thesis
Contract time limit:
Start of work: as soon as possible/by arrangement
Background:Currently, in the institute of energy and climate research (IEK-3) introduction strategies for hydrogen applications in different areas, including necessary infrastructure, are being developed. Initial analysis of potential hydrogen demands has shown that fuel cell private passenger vehicles, local buses, heavy-duty vehicles, trains, and forklifts could play an important role in the market introduction phase. On grounds of high technical development, long-range and further advantages compared to other established and alternative drivetrain technologies these applications are being increasingly deployed especially in the EU, China, Japan, and the US.
Project Description:The goal of the project is to develop a python-based analysis module of the parameter uncertainty for the current countrywide hydrogen infrastructure model. On this basis a Monte Carlo analysis of the hydrogen infrastructure cost will be conducted. The project consists of following work packages:
- Literature research regarding the Monte Carlo analysis and relevant parameter sampling techniques
- Implementation of the Monte Carlo methodology and the module for parameter uncertainty analysis
- Choice of the sampling parameters and implementation of selected sampling techniques
- Implementation of the parameter uncertainty module into the existing hydrogen infrastructure model
- Modeling and stochastic analysis of the countrywide hydrogen infrastructure cost
- Result analysis and writing of the report
Requirements:Excellent academic marks in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, energy engineering, physics, computer science or related fields of study. Ability to work autonomously and analytically within a project team. Ideally, you already have experience in modeling, programming (preferred in python).
- A pleasant working environment within a highly competent, international team in one of the most prestigious research facilities in Europe
- You will be supported by top-end scientific and technical infrastructure as well as close guidance by experts
- You will have the opportunity to work with excited researchers from various scientific fields and take part in the design of a future European energy system
- The project is remunerated.