Context of intervention
Large text collections contain valuable knowledge that is difficult to find without appropriate visual text analytics software. The Papyrus software developed at LIST provides interactive visualizations to help analysts explore large text collections at various levels of details and focus on a manageable set of documents to read in detail. In particular, we have recently developed a set of visualizations for the analysis of word co-occurrence patterns.
The aim of this internship is to design suitable interaction techniques for these visualizations and to set up and conduct a user study to evaluate the usability of the alternate visual designs.
The intern will contribute to this project by:
- Developing additional visual design
- Designing and developing interactions adapted for each visual design
- Designing and conducting a user study to evaluate the usability of alternate approaches
- Developing a support tool to conduct the user study
- Master 2 Computer Science/IHM
- Other programming languages: Java, Scala
- Notions in evaluation methods for interactive visualizations will be welcome
- Notions in Data visualization/Text Mining/Data Mining will be valuable assets
- English or French (spoken and written) is required