Mass Spectrometry Senior Scientist
Job Category: Fulltime Regular
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world’s brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Proteome Exploration Laboratory (PEL) at Caltech is a critical core resource laboratory that serves the scientific research community at Caltech and beyond. PEL is equipped with the very latest liquid chromatographic and mass spectrometry instrumental systems, including the Thermo Scientific QE HF, Orbitrap Fusion, and Orbitrap Eclipse platforms for bottom-up and top-down proteomics, and the Sciex 6500 QTrap for targeted proteomics analyses. PEL is currently actively engaged in the promotion and implementation of advanced and innovative analytical approaches, including but not limited to, quantitative phosphoproteomics, single cell-proteomics, HDX proteomics, and discovery-targeted metabolomics. PEL has an immediate opening for a Mass Spectrometry Senior Scientist providing mass spectrometry expertise and support for scientists across a range of disciplines.
The Mass Spectrometry Senior Scientist will provide demonstrated aptitude in advanced bioanalytical research and support to a wide range of basic and translational biology questions. Essential duties include the development, implementation, and maintenance of advanced bioanalytical methods and their standard operating procedures. The successful candidate will report to and collaborate with the director, Dr. Spiros D. Garbis, and also provide mass spectrometry feedback and support to other faculty, graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and other PEL staff members.
- Design and develop more specialized instrumental analytical solutions and hardware optimizations as required to solve more complex bioanalysis projects. Examples include the use of multi-dimensional liquid chromatography in the more efficient extraction, purification, and separation of proteins and peptides; the use of more specialized liquid handling operations typically used in hydrogen-deuterium exchange workflows; the isolation and analysis of hydrophobic and in vivo modified proteins as they occur in biological specimens such as cells, tissues or biofluids (serum, plasma, CSF, ascetic fluids).
- Develop and implement methodological solutions to complex bioanalytical queries requiring independent analytical thinking and advanced knowledge.
- Contribute mass spectrometry expertise to basic and translational research and development to support on-going and perspective programs and collaborative projects.
- Contribute to the composition of relevant portions to manuscripts in preparation or conference presentations; prepare progress reports; maintain and refine standard operating procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, or a related discipline.
- Detailed understanding of established proteomic assays and techniques, from basic bottom-up/top-down proteomics assays to more applications involving post translational modification analysis, proximity ligation, and chemical crosslinking.
- Willingness to take project ownership, and initiative in the design and development of novel bioanalytical methods.
- Ability to work well independently and in team settings.
- Ability to quickly assimilate new techniques and concepts.
- A working understanding of mass spectrometry fundamentals.
- Hands-on experience in the effective use of mainstream quantitative proteomics approaches, including both label free and isotopic labeling methods.
- Working expertise with robust LC/MS instrument tuning, calibration, and maintenance.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills to guide and support collaborators in addressing their experimental objectives.
- Willingness and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and dynamic working environment.
- Solid foundation in the use of proteomic data curation, biostatistics, bioinformatics, and search algorithms.
- Ability to adopt new data analyses pipelines facilitated by various software tools such as R.
- Working expertise in absolute quantitative proteomic analysis using PRM/MRM/SRM LC/MS methods.
- Cover Letter
- Three references
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/1730127
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.