About the team/job
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work.
EMBO Press encompasses four prestigious scientific research journals, The EMBO Journal, EMBO Reports, Molecular Systems Biology and EMBO Molecular Medicine, and runs a fifth, Life Science Alliance, in association with Rockefeller University Press and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
EMBO is seeking a highly motivated scientist with broad and international high-level research experience for the role of Managing Editor for a new journal-independent peer-reviewing platform established in collaboration with ASAPbio.
The platform will produce high-quality portable peer-reviews that can be directly used by EMBO Press and external partner journals and posted on bioRxiv.
The Managing Editor will be in charge of ensuring the quality and efficiency of the peer-review process and managing the interactions of the platform with authors and the affiliated partner journals.
The candidate will be expected to form extensive contacts to the scientific community and engage in regular travel to conferences and research institutions.
- Critical evaluation of manuscripts submitted to the platform and liaising with the members of the Academic Board of Editors to make initial editorial decision on the suitability of submissions for peer-review by the platform.
- Assigning submitted manuscripts to Reviewing Editors.
- Monitoring the quality and efficiency of the peer-review process.
- Attendance of conferences and visits to research institutions to represent the platform.
- Liaison and coordination with partner journal editorial offices.
- Delivering talks and training programmes related to scientific communication.
- Involvement in publicity and social media activities in assigned subject areas.
- Involvement in commissioning activities, common projects and data analyses across EMBO Press.
- Perform additional tasks as required by the Deputy Head of Scientific Publications or the EMBO Director.
This position will occasionally require working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings or during the weekend during conferences or other events.
- successful postdoctoral research experience in the life sciences, preferably in a domain relevant to cell and molecular biology;
- experience working in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, international academic environment;
- excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- a decisive, judicious, detail-oriented, analytical and impartial mind;
- good organizational skills, multi-tasking, an ability to prioritise and to follow guidelines while working autonomously.
You might also have
- prior editorial experience, which would be a very strong asset for this position;
- senior academic qualifications.
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering a high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, and educational and other family-related benefits. As a non-profit organisation, we have a very informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
The Managing Editor will report to the Deputy Head of Scientific Publications.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.