Lecturer – Biology and Living Systems
Vacancy ID 5187
College/Service Central Saint Martins
Main location CSM – King’s Cross, London UK
Job type Part time
Unit Fashion, Textiles & Jewellery, Product and Spatial Design
Job term Permanent
DBS check required? No
Closing date 24 June 2019 23:55
Scheduled interview date 15 July 2019
Salary £38,010 – £45,603 per annum pro rata (£19,005 – £22,801)
This is a unique opportunity to shape the future of the course and create a ground-breaking new dialogue between science and design as part of an interdisciplinary course team. Duties and responsibilities of the role include:
- Working with the Course Leader to deliver a curriculum centered around biomimicry, biodesign, bio-computation, computational design, bio-ethics and sustainability for designers with different backgrounds.
- Actively supporting MA Biodesign student projects in the studio and in the laboratory
- Delivering lectures and workshops for designers related to biology principles, bio-ethics, and legislation related to the field
- Extending the level of subject expertise and critical understanding on the Course so as to keep the Course at the forefront of critical creative practice.
Why choose us?
Central Saint Martins is a world-leading centre for arts and design education. Its reputation stems from the creative energy of its staff and students and the stellar achievements of its graduates nationally and internationally. The nine programmes at CSM explore the boundaries of their discipline. Students and staff are continually alert to new ideas, and are curious and restless in developing beyond the expected norms of their subject, so emerging work is at the forefront of its area. CSM sits at the heart of London’s creative scene, and of one of Europe’s most dynamic new culture and innovation quarters at King’s Cross, making the college increasingly important to London’s cultural life, and indicative of our general desire to open up CSM to as broad an audience as possible.
The role as a lecturer in Biology will be a fundamental part of the new MA Biodesign which sits in the Jewellery, Textiles and Materials progamme .
MA Biodesign is a new course which explores bio-informed strategies as a driver for sustainable innovation. This research-led Master degree introduces designers from multidisciplinary design backgrounds to biological systems, synthetic biology, computational design, and digital and biofabrication techniques to articulate alternative and innovative new design propositions for the emerging bio-circular economy to redefine the use of energy, water, waste and materials.
With a dedicated Lecturer in Biology and a brand new ‘Grow Lab’ bio-laboratory facility, the course combines the creative, disruptive and experimental culture of Central Saint Martins with a rigorous scientific curriculum to create innovative sustainable design proposals.
- You have a Higher degree (e.g. MSc) in Biology or associated subject – e.g. Microbiology, Genetics or Biotechnology and extensive experience of working in a laboratory in a professional or Higher Education setting.
- Your research, knowledge exchange and/ or professional practice contributes to the advancement of Biology and Biodesign activity.
- You have a strong interest in applying innovative approaches in teaching, learning and assessment informed by pedagogic research and scientific practice.
- You can motivate students and staff as well as effectively adapting communicating to a diverse audience in an inclusive and accessible way
Posting date – 28 May 2019
Closing date – 24 June 2019
At UAL, everyone’s identity matters. We are committed to creating a supportive and inclusive environment for all our diverse students, staff, and the creative and cultural sector partners with whom we engage. We aim to take every opportunity to progress equality and diversity, and celebrate the enrichment this brings to our community.
Candidates are advised to submit applications early.