Hello! We are Biomage, a small startup passionate about building the best software to understand human biology and improve human health. We are advancing biomedical research in fields including cancer, cardiovascular disease, developmental biology and immunology by building Cellenics, a revolutionary analysis software for single cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) data. We enable biologists to analyse their data with speed, ease and accuracy.
scRNA-seq is a new technology that offers an opportunity for scientists to make discoveries at an unprecedented rate. However, until now, advancement has been limited by a major bottleneck in the data analysis process: it is available only for those with coding and bioinformatics skills. To address this limitation, we’ve built Cellenics – the first cloud-based, open source web platform for scRNA sequencing data analysis and visualisation.
Since the platform was released at the end of July 2021, we have shortened the average data analysis time from 6 months to 2 weeks. We already have traction in the academic market: almost 1000 academic researcher accounts and approx. 150 users regularly logging in and reaping the benefits of the tool.
We are working with world-leading research institutions, including Harvard Medical School, Cornell, UCSF, UCLA, and the Universities of Oxford, Edinburgh and Glasgow. These institutions guide Cellenics development to ensure that we build something that is truly useful.
We’re looking for a Lead Biologist to take ownership of the rollout of Cellenics in academia.
You will work closely with Cellenics developers (software engineers and bioinformaticians), Cellenics users (academic researchers located all over the world) and academic institutions (e.g. core facilities) to grow the academic user base and ensure that Cellenics is adding value to these academic users. You will also work closely with the business development (BD) team at Biomage to steer the BD strategies and decisions towards maximum success for the company.
The major focus of your duties will be to:
- Get feedback from current Cellenics users in academia
- Prioritise and design new features for Cellenics
- Grow the number of engaged academic users
These 3 steps form an iteration loop as follows: 1. -> 2. -> 3. -> 1.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Manage the user community of Cellenics e.g. through community forum and events
- Replicate analysis of top scRNA-seq papers in Cellenics for content marketing
- Run Cellenics workshops
- Onboard new users
- Analyse Cellenics usage patterns
What we offer
- Opportunity to change the world by building tools to help improve human health.
- Opportunity to grow the startup with us into a successful company.
- Competitive shares package & salary (calculated according to experience & location).
- Laptop and any other essential technical equipment.
- Dedicated personal development time (4hr/wk).
- Reading club – books to help with your professional development are on us.
- Home cleaning – we will pay for somebody to take over some of those mundane tasks to help you focus on what matters to you most.
What you can expect
- An agile, diverse, multidisciplinary and 100% remote team.
- A supportive, inclusive and transparent working environment where team mates learn from and help each other all the time.
- A place to look at things differently, challenge and offer solutions.
- You will be working in a (still) small startup where the whole company consists of ~10 people. You will have a unique opportunity to make a significant impact and actively drive change in the technology, direction and culture of the startup as we grow.
- A fast-paced environment of continuous improvement.
What we are looking for
This position is for full time, 100% remote work. We would expect you to:
- Always put the user first.
- Be an active participant and decision maker during relevant discussions.
- Be comfortable working in a highly dynamic environment.
- Be passionate and empathetic. You’re a doer, and a helper.
- Create, refine and improve internal processes together with the team.
- Champion and evangelise the lean startup methodology.
- Take ownership and pride in your work.
- Experiment, test, try, fail and learn continuously.
- Help and mentor more junior teammates.
- Have experience and the desire to work as part of a close-knit team.
We would expect you to have the following specific qualifications and skills:
- A PhD in biomedical science, biology or related field.
- A strong publication record of >5 first/final author publications in top tier journals.
- Understanding of core methods and approaches in biomedical research, including genomics and transcriptomics.
- Direct experience with single cell RNA-seq data generation and/or analysis.
Cellenics® is an open source software developed by © 2020-2022 President and Fellows of Harvard College. Biomage provides services to Harvard Medical School for the design and development of Cellenics®, and hosts the community instance of Cellenics®.
How to apply
Send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in contact with you shortly!