The Geeleher Lab is seeking a Bioinformatics Research Scientist to work on exciting projects related to cancer genomics, pharmacogenomics, and drug repurposing in the St. Jude Department of Computational Biology. One of the premier pediatric research institutions in the world, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital provides exceptional resources, a collaborative environment, and access to extensive, unique cancer genomics datasets from large-scale research initiatives.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop and apply innovative analytical and statistical approaches for studying genetic variation and its relationship to cancer development and chemotherapeutic response. You will also contribute ideas to develop and improve analyses and methods, work with postdoctoral fellows on cutting-edge research, participate in collaborative projects, assist in preparing manuscripts and grants, and assist with establishing protocols and pipelines. Depending on your interests and goals, you may also lead and publish your own projects.
The Geeleher Lab is recognized for developing innovative computational approaches and has led drug re-purposing efforts, spearheaded publications in Nature, Genome Research, Genome Biology, Journal of the National Cancer Institute (JNCI) and Bioinformatics in the last five years, and is funded by the NIH. St. Jude offers an exceptional research environment, including state-of-the-art high-performance computing facilities, robust analytical pipelines, the latest wet-lab technology, access to outstanding core facilities and scientific expertise in genomics, cancer biology, statistics, and computer science. The Department of Computational Biology is highly interactive with collaborative opportunities across basic and clinical departments and mentorship from faculty-level scientists with deep experience in data analysis, data management and delivery of high-quality results for highly competitive projects
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Master’s degree or PHD is preferred
- Six (6) years of relevant experience is required.
- Four (4) years of relevant experience may be acceptable with a Master’s degree.
- No experience may be acceptable with a PHD in Computer Science or Bioinformatics, with a background in the biological sciences.
- Experience in programming (Python, Java, C/C++, perl or other programming/scripting languages) under linux/unix environment is required.
- Experience with and the ability to deal with a wide range of users is required.
- Experience of independent data analyses and project management is required.
- End user support and training experience is required.
No Search Firms:St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. Please do not call or email. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee or other representative at St. Jude via email, the internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place and approved by HR will result in no fee being paid in the event the candidate is hired by St. Jude.