About the team/job
Research in the Schwab team is focused on developing techniques to perform the correlation between light and electron microscopy with a strong emphasis on 3D organised multicellular systems. In tight collaborations with the Electron Microscopy Core Facility and with other research groups, the new methods are designed for an integration with phenotypic studies in the Life Sciences. The Lab Officer in Charge occupies a central position within the team enabling an ideal environment for creativity and efficient work.
You will be in charge of the general organization of the laboratory and directly participate to the research projects performed in the team. As an expert in cellular EM and CLEM, you will be responsible for the technical training and will provide assistance to the lab members.
In particular, you will be responsible for:
- Developing, performing and supervising the sample preparation techniques for cellular electron microscopy.
- Performing and supervising EM acquisitions (in 2D and 3D).
- Applying and developing CLEM strategies on cultured cells and on model organism.
- Developing and implementing state of the art 3D targeting strategies, involving computing work (3D registration of multiple imaging modalities) and specialized instrumentation (microscopic X-ray computed tomography)
- Actively contributing to knowledge and knowhow dissemination by participating to the organization of courses, workshops and conferences, by contributing to scientific and technical publications.
- University degree in biology or an equivalent technical degree.
- Strong experience in electron microscopy for cell biology: sample preparation (including HPF/FS), ultramicrotomy, TEM, TEM tomography, volume SEM.
- Fluency in English.
- In addition, you have special interest in
- having responsibilities;
- working in a collaborative environment;
- laboratory management and organization;
- technological development and innovation;
- training other people.
You might also have
- Solid skills in software for 3D image data editing, analysis and visualization.
- Previous experience in light microscopy (live cell imaging, confocal, light sheet, …).
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1800 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
Please apply online through: www.embl.org/jobs
Interviews on site are planned to take place in the first half of October 2019.