Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
We currently have an opening for a Lab Manager in the lab of Dr. Elizabeth Sattely at Stanford University. Dr. Sattely’s lab wants to understand and manipulate molecular metabolic pathways in plants with an eye toward improving plant resilience and human health. The team combines techniques from biochemistry, synthetic biology, bioinformatics, transcriptomics, and metabolomics to identify drug-like molecules and clarify biosynthetic pathways. Then the team can modify compounds and tweak pathways, potentially leading to medicines with fewer side effects or molecules that help plants better withstand environmental stress and disease.
This role will be a key part of the lab – serving as a lynchpin to keep the lab running efficiently and effectively. Ideal candidates will be incredibly organized, have a background in science or prior science training, interested in science administration, and have a strong desire to help move science forward. Beyond that, there are also opportunities to help support research projects or possibly get involved in the financial or bookkeeping aspects of the lab.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Lab Operations: 70%.
- Oversee and/or implement all policies governing the operation of the laboratory.
- Be responsible for laboratory safety, protocols, equipment purchasing and maintenance procedures, monitoring of laboratory inventory, maintenance of laboratory server documents, orientation of new laboratory staff and lab personnel checkout procedures.
- Coordinate candidate postdoc interviews, manage space and office assignments, oversee glass washing staff, and coordinate the annual lab retreat.
- Along with other duties as assigned by the Principle Investigator, the candidate will serve as a resource for both students and staff for a variety of issues.
Host Liaison – 20%.
- Act as the primary point of contact in laboratory for all HHMI administrative requirements and reports in coordination with the Science Operations Managers and other Science Operations staff
- Act as liaison with other host institution departments, including the Safety Office, Student services, Finance/Accounting, HR, etc.
- May verify authorization to work within the U.S., as well as coordinate with host departments on transfers to/from host institute budgets.
- May coordinate requests for visas by working with employees, Investigator, and OAS/Host Institution International
- Work with Investigators to coordinate all Associate appointments/ re-appointments. Ensure accuracy in the overall process, including appropriate documentation for initial appointment, monitoring appointment end dates, timely submission of paperwork and work with the investigator to ensure equity in salary determination.
Financial Management: 10%.
- Coordinate all lab purchasing, monitor lab spending, and assist with accounts management
- Help track laboratory spending in order to develop cost saving practices
HHMI is an EOE.