Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approx. 1260 employees (including visiting scientists), the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the “System Earth” and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization. For Section 3.1 "Inorganic and Isotope Geochemistry" we invite applications for a
Job Vacancy No. 2470
Section 3.1 runs a suite of geochemistry labs for the analyses of major, minor and trace elements in rock and water samples. The equipment includes ICP-Optical Emission Spectrometer; ICP-Mass Spectrometer; Ion chromatograph; Pyrohydrolysis instrument and an LECO Element analyzer. We seek an excellent analyst to manage this facility and contribute high quality analytical expertise and data to GFZ and external users.
- development of new analytical techniques for analyzing rock, soils and water samples, including highly saline fluids, and rock and ore samples with high metal contents
- quality control and quality assurance on all data generated in the labs
- supervision and management of up to 4 technicians
- publishing and contributing to high quality papers and data sets
- developing streamlined workflows for logging samples into the labs, scheduling, tracking of analyses and lab users and improving efficiencies
- coordinating the workflow and data archive with other analytical labs e.g. XRD lab
- project generation and fostering new collaborations
- developing strategies for archiving data, publishing data sets and exploring contributions to Big Data projects
- managing cost recovery strategies and developing and implementing fee schedules for the labs if appropriate
- contributing to training of students, interns and apprentices
- assisting the Section Leader with applications for equipment and strategic planning for the long term direction of the facility
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in chemistry and PhD in analytical chemistry, or analytical geochemistry
- demonstrated experience in whole rock multi-element analyses and technique development and the application of inorganic geochemical techniques to fundamental research questions
- demonstrated managerial experience
- excellent organizational skills
- excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team
- experience in training students, interns and apprentices in geochemical techniques
- fluency in German and a high level of proficiency in spoken and written English
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 2 years (with possibility of extension)
Salary: The salary grouping will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)” and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Location: Potsdam You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.Please submit your application online by 5th June 2019 (extended) using the "Apply" button.Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.