The Verstreken lab is part of the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research at the University of Leuven (Belgium), which ranks among the world’s top 50 universities. At our center, 340 researchers are studying the fundaments of how the brain works and what goes wrong in disease.
Our lab, Lab of neuronal communication, is trying to understand the molecular mechanisms of synaptic function in health and neurodegenerative disease. Using fruit flies and human neurons derived from embryonic and patient derived stem cells, we focus on key proteins, lipids and mitochondria that regulate synaptic function and how these molecules and organelles are misregulated in Parkinson’s disease and Taupathies. With this understanding, we would like to get closer to the ultimate goal to develop cures.
We are looking for a motivated and dedicated research technician to join our team of Post docs, PhDs and technicians to provide hands-on support to the projects running in the lab. He/She will get the opportunity to do research with a variety of experimental systems from molecular to cellular biology to in vivo work by applying standard laboratory techniques as well as more advanced technologies, including molecular neurobiology and cell culture.
- You possess at the minimum a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Bachelor/Master /Engineer) or equivalent. A FELASA B certificate is a plus but not essential.
- You are experienced in a wide range of standard laboratory techniques (including WB, RNA extraction, qPCR, DNA isolation, PCR,…) ,; experience with one or more of the following techniques is a plus: Immunohistochemistry and Microscopy and/or cell culture (standard, ES and/or iPS cell culture, transfection, infection, cellular assays,…)
- You must be able to accurately compile and document your work, and help in the interpretation of results.
- You must be meticulous, self-motivated and independent, whilst being able to interact effectively with other members of the research team and flexible to learn new things
- Being part of the research technician team you will also participate in daily laboratory tasks
- You are proficient in written and spoken English.
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- A stimulating international research environment
- Competitive salary and benefits
- The position is initially for 12-18 months with the possibility of extension
- Starting Date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Please use the VIB HR Application tool
Additional required information:
- detailed CV
- names and contact information of 2 referees
- motivation letter describing your experience (in English)
For more information: please contact Sabine Kuenen.