The purpose of the function
Technical assistance for experiments with plant pathogenic fungi in order to optimize formulations, consisting of natural products, to prevent fruit rotting.
You will work in a young and dynamic research team which is part of the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Microbiology (www.vib.be). This project is in the framework of a collaboration with the company StixFresh, with the aim to reduce food waste. You will contribute to the development and characterization of formulations that prevent fungal growth on various types of fruit.
- You have a strong interest in microbiology
- You can work independently but within a small team
- You are responsible for the preparation of growth media, fungal cultures and preferentially basic knowledge of molecular biology techniques such as isolation of DNA and RNA, PCR amplification, cloning and DNA electrophoresis.
- You are responsible for updating our various databases and collections of strains and natural products.
- You contribute to the daily practical organization in the lab and help with the ordering and negotiate with representatives of companies and in the preparation of good laboratory practices.
- You are a team-player
- You communicate very well English as this is the language in the lab
- You obtained a bachelor’s degree in laboratory sciences or related studies or obtained such skills by experience.
- You have basic knowledge in microbiology and/or molecular biology
- You want to learn new things, you are responsible and you work very precise and towards the final goals.
- You like to work in a laboratory environment and you can work alone as well as in a team.
- You work in an efficient way, can handle stress situations and are flexible.
- You can communicate very well, both orally and written.
Application deadline: 29 February 2020. Pre-selection based on your CV and motivation letter.
Selection interview in connection with the above tasks and skills.
A full time, 2 years position. Prolongation depends on additional funding.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.