Lab Manager, Dubai
Position Code: 74201
Area: Multidisciplinary Labs
The DEWA R&D Center is looking to fill the vacancy of an experienced Laboratory Manager to oversee all laboratories. DEWA R&D Center has or plans to develop laboratories in the following areas: Solar PV testing (indoor and outdoor), Solar PV cell and module development with Cleanroom, Advanced Materials, 3D Printing, Power Systems and Smart Grids, Water Analysis, Experimental Desalination, Robotics and Drones, Building Performance, HVAC development.
The Laboratory Manager’s objective is to ensure efficient and safe operations of laboratories and maintenance of physical research assets to facilitate unobstructed research. The Laboratory Manager tasks include: ensuring safe and efficient operation of the physical laboratories; planning and managing financial resources to support the development and operation of the physical laboratories and supporting staff; developing the laboratories into world-class facilities that support high-quality research and attract external interest and engagement; developing a calibration and preventative maintenance plan to ensure reliable operations of each equipment and laboratory infrastructure; overseeing laboratory operations; ensuring effective training procedures and mentoring users.
As part of the position responsibilities the laboratory manager is expected to:
- Oversee the development, implementation and review of policies and procedures applicable to all physical laboratories, including, but not limited to, environmental health and safety, equipment service and maintenance, procurement, handling and disposal of materials and supplies, laboratory access control, and laboratory user fees and charge-back accounting.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of laboratory technical support staff, including Lab Instructors, Engineers and Technicians, while ensuring their effective support for the research staff.
- Contribute to the development of Centre-wide space planning activities, through service on the Space Planning Committee, with specific responsibility for space planning of the research laboratories.
- Manage the Centre’s budget for Physical Laboratories, including the preparation of annual budget requests and supervision of expenditures.
- Work closely with the Facilities Department to support effective operations, including routine support services, installation of new equipment and renovation of laboratories.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities for the research staff and ensure the achievement of Laboratories’ objectives and plans.
- Formulate and implement short and long-range goals for the operation and improvement of the laboratories; set priorities, assign responsibilities, and establish timetables. Project future needs and formulate strategies consistent with projections.
- Meet with subordinates to ensure compliance with established practices, to implement new policies and to keep employees abreast of current changes and standards. Assure that the laboratory technicians and engineers are properly trained in Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and equipment specific requirements.
- Develop and update abbreviated user guides for the laboratory equipment in order to facilitate familiarization with equipment and apparatus.
- Support development of e-resources for: training catalogue website with content specific to the trainings offered, maintaining records of training and authorizations for users categorized by machine and date, scheduling system for efficient usage of laboratory resources, equipment usage log for preventive maintenance, etc.
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs; evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results, ensuring that the laboratory users are properly trained in Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and equipment specific requirements.
- Actively engage in interaction with global manufacturers, data analysis and reporting according to international standards.
The ideal candidate would have extensive professional experience as a laboratory manager (more than 8 years of technical involvement in academic and/or industrial research organizations) and in-depth knowledge of one or more of these laboratory equipment types. The candidate should be comfortable working as member of a dynamic, research-oriented group with several ongoing concurrent projects across multiple areas but also manage individual tasks independently. Thinking out of the box and comfort in bridging cross-disciplinary silos to conduct innovative research are strongly desirable qualities.
Contract Duration: 6 years with potential for extension
- PhD in a related discipline; Engineering, Physics or Chemistry;
- Strong administrative and management skills, with the ability to effectively lead, motivate and fairly evaluate staff;
- Experience in planning and managing budgets for laboratory operation;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in a team environment and serve constructively on committees;
- MSc in a related discipline; Engineering, Physics or Chemistry.
- Technical expertise of the equipment related to research laboratories in at least one or more of the laboratory facilities mentioned.
- Eight (8) years of industrial and/or research professional experience working in laboratories in a research-focused organization.
- Two (2) years experience of serving in an administrative role overseeing laboratory operations; preferably for a medium to large laboratory serving at least 20 or more or researchers.
Please send the following: i) cover letter (PDF), ii) CV including full list of publications/patents (PDF), iii) at least three names of references with contact information, and other supporting documents (optional) to DEWA R&D Centre recruitment R&D.Recruitment@dewa.gov.ae. Please include the Area and Position Code in the subject line of the email.
About the employer
The package offered is competitive and in line with regional and global standards. The Dubai Water and Electricity Authority (DEWA) is one of the largest enterprises in the UAE, offers a dynamic work environment, internationally highly competitive salary packages, and living in the vibrant city of Dubai. The DEWA R&D Center is housed in state-of-the-art lab facilities located at the Mohammed Bin Rashid Solar Park, one of the largest of its kind in the world.