About the team/job
We are looking for an experienced Desktop Support Engineer to join the IT Services team at EMBL Heidelberg. The team maintains and develops the state-of-the-art IT infrastructure for the laboratory and is responsible for providing high quality IT support to the users at EMBL Heidelberg, Barcelona and Rome.
- Providing excellent desktop computing support to our users. The current environment consists of 1500+ computers and mobile devices including support for MacOS, Windows, Linux and support for mobile operating systems
- Providing effective troubleshooting for desktop and mobile device software, hardware and network related issues
- Providing a knowledgeable, friendly and reliable IT helpdesk to and independently working with our users
- Tracking and documenting of support requests to assure a high quality of service and end user satisfaction
- Identifying areas to automate and improve IT support processes
The ideal candidate will have at least 3 year of work experience in a professional IT support environment and has a degree in computer sciences or equivalent. As well as being a technical expert in managing current desktop and mobile operating systems, (s)he will have a solid knowledge of current desktop software packages, automation of system and software installations as well as computer network technology. Experience in supporting MacOS and iOS devices would be beneficial.
You might also have
Good communication and English language skills are required. A service-oriented attitude, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well and professionally under pressure are essential. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently as well as working as part of a team.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. Remuneration comprises a competitive tax free salary and benefits from the German Social Security Scheme.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with 1700 employees from many nations operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (DE, headquarters), Barcelona (ES), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Hamburg (DE), Grenoble (FR) and Rome (IT). EMBL IT Services provide access to large-scale cutting-edge IT infrastructure and services using a flexible, innovative and user-centred approach empowering the EMBL community to reach their objectives.
Find out more about our team on https://www.embl.de/services/itservices/work-with-us/index.html.