Investigator Protein Engineer
- Requisition ID:WD203143
- Position:Full time
- Functional area:Science and Technology
- Location:Stevenage, Hertfordshire
- Required degrees:Phd/Doctorate
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
Biopharm Discovery is a department dedicated to the discovery of novel and effective biopharmaceutical medicines. This department comprises several complementary functions focused on the progression of a portfolio of biopharmaceuticals from initial antibody discovery, expression and characterisation to molecular engineering and biological and physiochemical profiling.
Within Biopharm Discovery, the Antibody Technologies group is dedicated to identifying, developing and embedding novel antibody technologies, which may come either from within GSK or from the wider R&D community. Our current areas of focus include the development of multi-specific antibodies, antibodies with altered effector function and antibodies with additional engineered functionalities which expand target space. An opportunity has now arisen for an experienced and innovative protein/antibody engineer to join the group and drive the development of first-in-class or best-in-class, ‘enhanced’ antibodies.
You are an engaged and highly motivated scientist who has an interest in new technologies and is experienced in molecular biology, protein science and working with antibodies. You enjoy working in the lab, as the role is predominantly lab-based, but you are comfortable leading small matrix teams to identify, evaluate, validate, develop and/or implement new antibody technologies within the group and wider organisation.
You will be required to plan packages of work and design and execute experiments to construct and test engineered antibodies, influence the direction of the group by undertaking landscape analyses and due diligence duties, and be willing to develop and train other more junior staff as required. Although this is not a managerial position, it is a relatively senior role and you will be confident working independently to achieve agreed goals. You particularly enjoy working collaboratively, as the ability to function well as part of a team and form productive interactions with scientists across GSK and externally will be key for success in this role.
- Plan and execute the experimental assessment of different antibody technologies and contribute to diligence activities, business development efforts and IP generation as required.
- Design and clone antibody-encoding constructs and coordinate or perform protein expression and purification thereof.
- Participate in the biophysical and functional characterisation of modified and enhanced antibodies incorporating new technologies, and interpret the data that is generated.
- Collaborate with GSK scientists and our partners in academia and the biotech industry to help achieve the group objective of accessing cutting-edge antibody technologies.
- Keep abreast of developments in the antibody technologies field (e.g. literature, conferences, in-licensing opportunities) and explore new and innovative ideas.
We can offer you a collaborative learning environment and the opportunity to develop your career and gain experience across drug discovery. If you share our priorities of innovation, performance and trust and are motivated to contribute towards bringing lifesaving drugs to patients, then we’d love to hear from you.
Close Date: 8th August 2019
Please use your cover letter to highlight how you meet the competencies for the role, your cover letter along with your CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
- PhD or equivalent experience in protein engineering, molecular biology or related discipline.
- Significant experience in pharmaceutical/biotech industry or academia, working in a relevant field.
- Experience of leading projects or initiatives with the ability to plan, coordinate and deliver complex work packages.
- Strong molecular biology and protein engineering skills, preferably with antibodies.
- Experience in the expression, purification and characterisation of proteins, preferably antibodies.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams and to collaborate with internal and external partners.
- Ability to review and assimilate new information effectively.
- Knowledge and understanding of the antibody discovery process.
- Practical experience of technologies that underpin the generation of bispecific antibodies, novel antibody formats, bioconjugation and/or enhanced antibody effector function.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new scientific areas.
GSK is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.