Innovation and Translation Officer
• Salary: Circa £43,000 (dependent upon experience)
• Job Ref: MI/19/78
• Three years in the first instance
About the role:
An exciting opportunity is currently available for an Innovation and Translation Officer to join the Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute.
The successful candidate will be working at the interface between scientific innovation and commercial development to facilitate the translation of cancer research to deliver patient benefit.
The role will lead on establishing and driving a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship at the Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute and maximise opportunities to enable our scientists to translate their discoveries into new therapies and business opportunities.
To achieve this, you will:
• acquire a thorough knowledge of the Institute’s research portfolio
• keep abreast of translational developments in cancer research
• develop an engagement strategy to drive a culture of innovation using a variety of communications’ tools
• explore opportunities for collaborative translation locally, nationally and internationally
• work together with the CRUK Commercial Partnerships Team (CPT) to proactively identify and support projects with translational potential by working with researchers to protect Intellectual Property (IP) and access translational funding mechanisms
• along with the CRUK CPT you will support the commercialisation of these opportunities through the most appropriate mechanism, for example, collaborations, licensing and spin-out formation.
You should be educated to degree level in Bioscience or related subject (or equivalent relevant experience) along with a PhD in cancer sciences (or equivalent relevant experience). Extensive experience of working in the cancer research area is essential. In addition you will have further experience of translation or commercial development of research together with a proven ability in using initiative to think strategically and drive research strategy development
For any informal enquiries about this post, please contact Julie Jarratt via email: Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why choose Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute?
The Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute (www.cruk.manchester.ac.uk), an Institute of The University of Manchester (www.manchester.ac.uk), is a world-leading centre for excellence in cancer research. The Institute is core funded by Cancer Research UK (www.cancerresearchuk.org), the largest independent cancer research organisation in the world. We are currently situated at the internationally-renowned life sciences campus at Alderley Park in Cheshire England, 15 miles from Manchester, a vibrant and dynamic city surrounded by beautiful countryside.
We are partnered with The Christie NHS Foundation Trust (adjacent to the CRUK MI Paterson Building) in South Manchester (www.christie.nhs.uk), one of the largest cancer treatment centres in Europe. These factors combine to provide an exceptional environment in which to pursue basic, translational and clinical research programmes.
How to apply?
To apply for this position please visit our website: https://www.cruk.manchester.ac.uk/recruitment/candidate/searchvacancies
Please note this vacancy will close for applications at 11:59pm on the closing date specified.
Closing date: 08.12.2019