Health Scientist (Diagnostics Concept Accelerator)
Office of Biodefence Research, Resources, and Translational Research
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
National Institutes of Health
Department of Health and Human Services
The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) is seeking an exceptional, industry-experienced leader for a senior scientific product development specialist responsible for identifying cutting-edge research and using the latest technological advances to shepherd the concepts toward potential diagnostic applications.
The diagnostics concept accelerator will 1) coordinate progression of multiple infectious diseases product candidates addressing biodefense and public health needs, from early through advanced product development and the transition to a commercialization partner; 2) manage the design and development of initiatives that leverage the existing research base for product development with an enhanced focus toward exploiting innovative concepts that target product development; 3) ensure adequate oversight and integrate various pre-existing elements of the division’s product development resources and capabilities into the development of candidates; 4) conduct long-range planning in a research environment where future scientific opportunities are not readily apparent and frequently change with the development of new knowledge; and 5) build upon and establish additional cooperative, productive, and coordinated relationships with other government entities, especially the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) and the Department of Defense, to advance candidates and related concepts while avoiding duplication of efforts, interact with FDA on relevant regulatory issues, and work closely with the greater scientific community and the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries to achieve shared scientific goals.
- Applicants must have a degree in a major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences and demonstrate a broad range of expertise in infectious disease disciplines, platform/diagnostic discovery and development experience, and associated research and development methodologies
- Applicants must demonstrate experience in the successful development of a candidate diagnostic or management and coordination of diagnostic development activities and an in-depth understanding of the entire process, from discovery or prototype design, analytical validation, and preclinical feasibility testing through 510(K) and/or investigational device exemption (IDE)-enabling studies and early clinical development.
- Applicants must demonstrate knowledge of the complex and nuanced regulatory requirements for licensure of new diagnostics.
- Applicants must show evidence of successful implementation of multifaceted, complex biomedical research programs.
- Applicants must show evidence of leadership and collaborative skills demonstrating effective interactions across multiple disciplines within an organization or between multiple sectors such as industry, academia, and/or government.
- The scientist or physician of this position must be a U.S. citizen.
- Incumbent must obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance based on a state bureau investigation (SBI) with eligibility for sensitive compartmented information (SCI).
Visit www.USAJobs.gov and access the detailed vacancy announcements NIH-NIAID-DE-20-10617254 (U.S. citizens) and/or NIH-NIAID-MP-20-10617962 (status candidates) beginning October 30, 2019. Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. on November 8,2019.
Email Lily Martin (Lily.Martin@nih.gov) with questions or for more information about the position.
Email Susie Yi-Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions regarding how to apply.
Visit NIAID Careers to learn more about NIAID and how you can play a role in this exciting and dynamic research organization.
HHS, NIH, and NIAID are equal opportunity employers.