The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) is the national institute which prepares expert reports and opinions on questions concerning the safety of food, feed and chemicals, as well as consumer health protection, on the basis of internationally recognised scientific evaluation criteria. It advises the Federal Government and other institutions and interest groups in these areas. The BfR conducts its own research on topics that are closely linked to its assessment tasks. It is an institution with legal capacity within the portfolio of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL).
The following permanent position is to be filled from December 2019 in the Safety in the Food Chain department at the BfR in the “Contaminants” unit:
Head of the “Contaminants” unit (m/f/d)
Reference number: 2235/2019 | Pay grade A15 BBesO
Appointment as a civil servant will be made upon presentation of the prerequisites under civil service law and complete fulfilment of the qualifications profile.
Alternatively, the position can be filled by persons subject to the collective salary agreement (TVöD ).
Remuneration will be commensurate with duties and qualifications.
- Heading of the “Contaminants” unit, into which the national reference laboratory for additives in animal feed and national reference laboratory for the monitoring of marine biotoxins are integrated in line with Article 100 of Regulation (EU) 2017/625
- Representation of the department management in specialised and organisational matters
- Instrumental analytics with main focus on the detection of contaminants in foods and feeds, and of additives in feeds
- Initiation and conducting of national and international research projects on contaminants and undesired substances in the food chain
- Promotion of interdisciplinary, cross-departmental projects at the BfR
- National and international committee work
- University degree (master’s, diploma or comparable university degree) with doctorate in Food Chemistry, Chemistry, Veterinary Medicine or comparable scientific subject, habilitation or comparable post-doctoral qualification of advantage
- Very good knowledge of the analysis of contaminants and undesired substances in complex matrices, in particular with the use of multi-methods by means of LC-MS/MS
- Experience of the validation of analysis methods and working in an accredited laboratory
- Experience of the acquisition of third party funding (national, EU)
- Experience of international committee work (EU, Codex Alimentarius)
- Good knowledge of the legal situation regarding consumer protection preferred
- Ability to assume the strategic scientific leadership of a work group and internal management in a public authority
- Strongly pronounced sense of responsibility, high degree of willingness to learn, great communication capacity and ability to solve conflicts
- A working style that focuses on results and resources
- Experience of the management of interdisciplinary scientific teams of advantage
- Family-conscious management capability, knowledge of the connections between management behaviour, motivation and willingness to perform
- Willingness to further develop leadership skills
- Very good written and spoken English
- Good computer literacy as well as a conscientious work approach, flexibility, ability to work in a team and the ability to cope with pressure are prerequisites, as is willingness to travel on business
As a family-friendly institute, we also offer part-time work models for executive positions to the extent that each job allows.
The place of work is Berlin.
Does this offer appeal to you?
If so, then please submit your application via our online system by 27 May 2019.
If you have any questions regarding the application procedure, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Please do not send any applications to this e-mail address –
If you are unable to submit your application online, you have the option of sending it by standard mail, stating the relevant reference number:
Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung
Personalreferat – 11.17 -
Please direct any questions on the scope of duties to:
Dr. Lahrssen-Wiederholt Tel.: 030 18412-28000
The BfR welcomes applications from people of all nationalities.
As an innovative scientific institution, the BfR offers family-friendly working conditions for which it was awarded the “audit berufundfamilie®” (work and family) certificate. The BfR guarantees equal career opportunities for women and men. In the case of equal suitability, severely disabled applicants will be given preferential consideration and are only required to have a minimum level of physical suitability.