The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) is the national institute which prepares expert reports and opinions on questions concerning the safety of food, feed and chemicals, as well as consumer health protection, on the basis of internationally recognised scientific evaluation criteria. It advises the Federal Government and other institutions and interest groups in these areas. The BfR conducts its own research on topics that are closely linked to its assessment tasks. It is an institution with legal capacity within the portfolio of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL).
The following permanent position is to be filled with immediate effect in the Experimental Toxicology and ZEBET department at the BfR in the “Animal Welfare and Knowledge Transfer” unit:
Head of the “Animal Welfare and Knowledge Transfer” unit (m/f/d)
Reference number: 2270/2019 | Pay grade A15 BBesO
Appointment as a civil servant will be made upon presentation of the prerequisites under civil service law and complete fulfilment of the qualifications profile.
Alternatively, the position can be filled by persons subject to the collective salary agreement (TVöD).
Salary/pay will be commensurate with duties and qualifications.
- Heading of the specialised interdisciplinary unit “Animal Welfare and Knowledge Transfer”
- Technical coordination of and collaboration in the fulfilment of the duties of the BfR in compliance with Article 49 “National committees for the protection of animals used for scientific purposes” of the EU test animal directive 2010/63/EU in line with § 15a Animal Welfare Act in combination with § 45 of the regulations on the welfare of animals used for experiments or for other scientific purposes
- Professional coordination of the publication of non-technical project reports (NTPs) on approved animal experiment projects in Germany in line with § 8 Para. 6 Animal Welfare Act in combination with § 41 of the regulations on the welfare of animals used for experiments or for other scientific purposes
- Coordination of jurisprudential work in the standardisation area of the protection of test animals with regard to the judicial interpretation of animal welfare-relevant legal texts (national and international) and the requirements for the approval of animal test projects
- Planning and coordination of and collaboration in meta-research projects with reference to animal test projects which pursue the goal of strengthening animal welfare and improving the quality of biomedical research
- Planning and coordination of scientific text-mining projects for the scientifically justified presentation of the essential need for projects involving experiments with animals
- Coordination of a research data management infrastructure for the BfR
- Drafting of scientific publications
- Acquisition of third party-funded projects
- Independent representation of prepared positions in national and international committees and at scientific congresses
- University degree (master’s, diploma or comparable university degree) with doctorate in Human or Veterinary Medicine or comparable subject, habilitation or comparable postdoctoral scientific qualification of advantage
- Recognition as a specialised physician in the field of pharmacology and toxicology or physiology or recognition as a specialised veterinarian in the field of pharmacology and toxicology or veterinary science preferred
- Proven experience in the use of animals for scientific purposes in the field of biomedical research
- Managerial experience and experience in the coordination of work processes
- Experience of the heading of interdisciplinary scientific teams of advantage
- Family-conscious management capability, knowledge of the connections between management behaviour, motivation and willingness to perform
- Willingness to further develop management skills
- Experience of dealing with complex research data and meta-research
- Interest in a research data management infrastructure
- Very good communication skills and ability to cooperate
- Proven top-level publication performance in international peer-reviewed journals
- Customer and service-oriented manner of thinking and working
- Pronounced abilities and motivation for interdisciplinary work
- Great willingness to perform
- Very good written and spoken English
- Good computer literacy as well as a conscientious work approach, flexibility, ability to work in a team and the ability to cope with pressure are prerequisites
As a family-friendly institute, we also offer part-time work models for executive positions to the extent that each job allows.
The place of work is Berlin.
Does this offer appeal to you?
If so, then please submit your application via our online system by 14 June 2019
If you have any questions regarding the application procedure, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Please do not send any applications to this e-mail address –
If you are unable to submit your application online, you have the option of sending it by standard mail, stating the relevant reference number:
Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung
Personalreferat – 11.17 -
Please direct any questions on the scope of duties to:
Prof. Dr. Schönfelder Tel.: 030 18412-29000
The BfR welcomes applications from people of all nationalities.
As an innovative scientific institution, the BfR offers family-friendly working conditions for which it was awarded the “audit berufundfamilie®” (work and family) certificate. The BfR guarantees equal career opportunities for women and men. In the case of equal suitability, severely disabled applicants will be given preferential consideration and are only required to have a minimum level of physical suitability
This text version is a translation of the original German text which is the only legally binding version.