As German Research Center for Environmental Health, Helmholtz Zentrum München pursues the goal of developing personalized medical approaches for the prevention and therapy of major common diseases such as diabetes mellitus, allergies and lung diseases. To achieve this, it investigates the interaction of genetics, environmental factors and lifestyle.
Germany’s largest research organization, the Helmholtz Association, launches Helmholtz Al: This dedicated, interdisciplinary platform will compile, develop, foster and promote applied artificial intelligence (Al) methods nationwide for all Helmholtz centers in collaboration with its external and university partners. lt’s central unit is currently being implemented in Munich, one of Germany’s major hubs for applied Al, at the Helmholtz Center Munich.
Fresh knowledge and ideas drive the success of our excellent research structure. With Helmholtz Al, the Helmholtz Association now has the unique opportunity to leverage its broad and large data sets across many fields with analysis expertise to answer questions with societal impact. We are inviting applications for the position of
Head of the Al Consultants Group (m/f/d) 2019/0354
We’re interested in receiving applications from people with a PhD and leadership experience who want to help address important Al/ML questions in our creative, multidisciplinary and collaborative environment.
The successful candidate will lead the Al Consultants Group, coordinating the implementation of cross-functional projects and ensuring effective individual and team working practices. The Al Consultants Group will develop, implement, refine and support Al-based analytics for the unique data sets generated by researchers across the Helmholtz Association.
• be a foundational and fundamental part of one of the biggest Al initiatives in Germany
• lead the Al Consultants Group in alignment with Helmholtz Al strategy
• be the key point of contact for internal and external enquiries
• oversee the development of the Al Consultants Group and individual group members lead on the identification, adaption, application and dissemination of emerging Al methods within the Helmholtz Al network and beyond
• act credibly and be able to persuade, negotiate and influence at a senior level
• interact with local Al experts and the budding Helmholtz Al platform and work in close collaboration with world-renowned domain experts at the Helmholtz Center Munich, TUM and LMU and across all Helmholtz research centers on highly relevant scientific projects
• regularly participate in international conferences to strengthen the visibility of the Helmholtz Al network and to discuss state-of-the-art Al methods and their applications
• comprehensive knowledge, experience and a track record in Al and applied machine learning, ideally combined with a domain specific background or interest
• a PhD degree and postdoc experience in computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics or another field related to data science
• people management skills and demonstrable experience
• experience working in a complex environment, with an understanding of science, technology and the workings of a larger organisation
curiosity and network thinking
• interest and experience in leading and coordinating multidisciplinary projects
• a self-starter mentality, a strong team spirit and a systematic way of working
What we offer you
A challenging and versatile field of work providing you with the freedom to follow your instinct and be creative. With the help of extensive and goal-orientated professional development measures and career-building programmes we encourage you to grow as a person. To ensure a good work/life balance we assist you with flexible working hours, in-house health management, a nursery, child care subsidy where required and an ""Elder Care"" concept as well as other consultation and support options.
Munich, with its numerous lakes and its vicinity to the Alps, is considered to be one of the cities with the best quality of life worldwide. With its first-class universities and research institutes it offers an intellectually stimulating environment.
Remuneration and social benefits are based on the collective wage agreement for public-sector employees at federal level (TV EntgO Bund).
The position is (initially) limited to three years, but under certain circumstances an extension can be arranged.
The activity involves special knowledge and experience specific to own scientific skills.
As a holder of the Total E-Quality Award, we promote equality of opportunity. To increase the share of women in management positions we very much welcome the respective applications. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
Curious? lf you have further questions, simply contact Dr. Angela Jurik- Zeiller on +49 89 3187-3980, who will be happy to be of assistance.
Please send your electronic application (in English) until 15th October 2019 in a single PDF file – including cover letter, CV and contact details of at least two references via the __ ‘Apply’ __ button to Angela Jurik-Zeiller.
Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Helmholtz Artificial lntelligence Cooperation Unit (HAlCU)
lngolstädter Landstraße 1
85764 Neuherberg near Munich