The Institute for Experimental Cardiovascular Medicine (IEKM)
University Heart Center Freiburg – Bad Krozingen, is looking to fill the position of
Head of Section: Cardiac Computational Modelling
With 1700 staff, the Heart Center is one of the largest of its kind in Europe. The vision for its translational research center, the IEKM, is to build bridges between basic and clinical research and to drive the advancement of knowledge on cardiovascular disease and therapy.
- An exciting position of responsibility in a dynamic, English-language operated institute at the interface of the sciences, engineering, and medicine;
- A supportive professional setting with flat hierarchies and fast decision making processes;
- State-of-the-art infrastructure;
- A five-year full-time post with the possibility of extension;
- Remuneration according to experience and on the academic pay scale TV-L E15.
- Leadership of computational modelling research, in close iteration with other IEKM sections engaged in ‘wet-lab’ studies of cardiac structure and function, from bench to bedside;
- Integration with, and support of, ongoing research in the section, incl. DFG-funded projects (such as openCARP) in collaboration with present research staff;
- Development of an internationally competitive research program, successful acquisition of nationally and internationally reviewed funding (DFG, EU), and publication of peer-reviewed papers;
- Active engagement in teaching (lecture course on cardiac biophysics at the Faculty of Engineering and Physics), in graduate training (supervision of BSc, MSc and PhD projects), and leading contributions to the establishment of an international Graduate Training Program (with the University of Auckland) dedicated to integrated wet-and-dry cardiovascular research;
- Responsibility for IT management at IEKM;
- Personnel responsibility for a team of up to 15 people.
- University degree (upper second or better) and PhD in a subject relevant for the post;
- Post-doctoral research experience in cardiac computational modelling, illustrated by peer-reviewed publications;
- Emerging track record of project leadership, such as illustrated by third party funding success;
- Demonstrable leadership abilities, social intelligence, and team spirit;
- Excellent communication skills, incl. written and spoken English at level C1 CEFR or better.
The position is available for five years in the first instance. Payment and benefits are based on the University Hospital Trade Agreement of the Federal State Baden-Wurttemberg.
Please submit your application including a motivation letter and CV via the online portal by 1 May 2020.
For further inquiries, please contact
Prof. Dr. Peter Kohl
University Heart Center Freiburg – Bad Krozingen
Institute for Experimental Cardiovascular Medicine
Elsasser Str. 2Q, 79110 Freiburg, Germany