caesar is a neuroethology institute located in Bonn that studies how the collective activity of the vast numbers of interconnected neurons in the brain gives rise to the plethora of animal behaviors. Our research spans a large range of scales from the nano-scale imaging of brain circuitry, to large-scale functional imaging of brain circuitry during behavior, to the quantification of natural animal behaviors.
We are currently looking for a Head of Scientific Computing (m/f/d)
(full time) to join us at the next possible opportunity.
As the Head of Scientific Computing you will lead a newly forming centralized scientific computing core facility. You will have the opportunity to recruit and build your own team of scientific computing experts and create the strategy for the developing group. The primary goal of your group is to facilitate research by providing a central resource for scientific algorithm development, data analysis, image analysis, machine learning expertise, and software development. A key aspect of this will be managing a currently being installed, mid-size High-Performance Computing (HPC) cluster and developing algorithms for the use of this system. caesar is also modernizing storage with two mid-size storage units for the purpose of facilitating the use and retention of scientific data and your facility will assist scientists to effectively use this resource.
* Lead, manage, and develop a strategy for the scientific computing core facility including budget and personnel planning.
* Coordinate the hiring and management of the rest of the scientific computing facility team.
* Work closely with scientists to implement service oriented and modern IT solutions.
* Administer and assist with use of the HPC cluster and associated data storage systems.
* Develop, with your team, algorithms and software for scientific data analysis, image analysis, and machine learning. Provide technical advice and support to cross-departmental research projects.
* Interact with the leadership of caesar to help plan the future of computing within the institute.
* Organize courses and training for further education of scientists, students and employees.
* PhD or Masters degree with relevant experience in an appropriate discipline (physics, math, chemistry, biology, bioinformatics, computer science, etc.).
* Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and at least a working knowledge of German.
* Experience in HPC environments, cluster management, enterprise storage and developing related algorithms.
* Practical experience successfully running a project and leading a team.
* Hands on experience developing in a scientific environment / context with R, Python, and/or Matlab would be an asset.
* An international and collaborative environment in a stimulating scientific institute.
* A salary commensurate with the work.
* Outstanding employee benefits, a family-friendly culture, and flexible working hours.
* Opportunities for further training/continuing education.
caesar is committed to diversity and inclusion and is aiming to increase the percentage of women in areas where they are under-represented. We therefore explicitly encourage women to apply. Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
We expect your application online only via https://www.caesar.de/en/joining-caesar/vacancies.html
This call will be open until the position is filled.
If you have any further questions, please contact: Christoph Geisen, phone: +49(0)228 / 9656-200 firstname.lastname@example.org.
caesar is certified in accordance with the berufundfamilie Audit.