The University of Bern establishes an Experimental Animal Center (EAC) as a joint structural unit of the Medical Faculty, the Faculty of Science and the Vetsuisse Faculty. The EAC is responsible for the animal husbandry and experimental facilities of the University of Bern at various locations. The EAC is responsible for the breeding and keeping of laboratory animals and for providing the infrastructure for carrying out animal experiments.
- Operational and personnel management of the experimental animal facilities directly subordinated to the EAC
- Coordination and support of the other experimental animal facilities and laboratories of the University of Bern
- Overview and responsibility for all activities that require an animal experiment permit or a permit for a laboratory
animal housing facility on behalf of the University of Bern and in close cooperation with the AnimalWelfare Office.
- Supporting researchers in the planning and execution of animal experiments by providing optimal infrastructure
and processes, continuous implementation of the 3R Principles
- Monitoring of compliance with the regulations of the Animal Welfare Act, hygiene and monitoring
- Veterinary supervision of laboratory animal husbandry
- Cooperation in the planning and supervision of construction projects in the field of animal testing
- Cooperation in national and international committees
Teaching and Research
Collaboration in the planning of education and training courses for researchers and veterinarians in the field of animal science and 3Rs. A research activity of one’s own is possible in principle, but must be compatible with the main service function and, if possible, complement it.
You have a university degree with a doctorate in veterinary medicine and a qualification in laboratory animal medicine; ECLAM diploma or equivalent. You have excellent communication skills, both in German and English, and have several years of experience in personnel management and the management of complex animal testing and husbandry facilities. Ideally, you are already well networked throughout Switzerland and internationally in the field of laboratory animal science. Your own research experience is an advantage. Your working style is independent and goal-oriented.
- Demanding, varied and independent management function
- Support from the EAC Commission, in which all participating faculties and laboratory animal areas are represented.
- Further training opportunities in the field of laboratory animal science
- Employment according to cantonal guidelines, attractive workplace in the city of Bern
- Possibility of job sharing
Are you interested?
For information about the position, please contact the Head of the EAC Steering Board, Prof. Robert Rieben, email@example.com
Please send your application with the usual documents electronically in a PDF file by 31.10.2019: