About the team/job
EMBL-EBI is looking for a Head of Communications to lead its external and internal communications activities and team.
EMBL-EBI is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), which is a non-profit, Intergovernmental Organisation funded by 27 EMBL member states and 2 associate member states. EMBL-EBI is a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation.
EMBL is one of the most highly ranked scientific research organizations in the world with 1,700 members of personnel from over 80 nations based across its six sites: the headquarters in Heidelberg (Germany), the EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) in Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain). The official languages of EMBL are English, French and German; however, as a Communications lead based in the UK at EMBL-EBI you will operate in English.
You will lead a Communications team which is responsible for the coordination of EMBL-EBI’s activities, including international visits and events, public engagement, conference exhibitions, equality and diversity programmes, press and media engagement, the creation and dissemination of print and digital material and other outreach publications alongside supporting internal communications and staff engagement activities. As Head of Communications at EMBL-EBI you will work closely with the wider EMBL Communications team based at EMBL’s headquarters in Heidelberg.
You will be responsible for:
- Communications and strategy development
- Relationship building and stakeholder relations
- Public relations and communications initiatives
- Internal communications
- Line management of the EMBL-EBI Communications team
- The role will require regular travel within Europe.
- A degree in communications, marketing, public relations, international relations, science, science communications or other relevant field:
- Substantial and long-standing experience leading a communications team, delivering internal and external communications:
- Experience of high-level stakeholder engagement;
- Experience of working within a matrix organisation with complex relationships;
- Experience of planning and delivering conferences and events;
- An ability to lead, inspire and manage a team with diverse skillsets;
- Demonstrable experience in the development and implementation of strategy for communications and public affairs;
- Excellent drafting and writing skills;
- An ability to prioritise, organise and work independently;
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail, whilst handling a heavy workload and meeting deadlines;
- A strong track record of delivering projects in areas including international relations, public engagement, and equality and diversity;
- Excellent communication skills and experience in communicating in a multi-cultural environment;
- An ability to advise, influence and negotiate, work independently but as part of a matrix management structure, and manage highly confidential matters with diplomacy and tact.
You might also have
- Significant experience of working in communications within a scientific environment;
- Knowledge of German, French, Spanish or Italian
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind.
Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good.
As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states.
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 850 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
Interviews will take place on 24 January 2020 at EMBL-EBI Hinxton.
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.