Human Technopole (HT) is a research organization based in Milan, Italy, with a focus on human biology and human disease. HT is an independent foundation created and supported by the Italian government, although thoroughly international in character and the working language is English. HT (https://www.htechnopole.it/en) will consist of several Research Centers that will work together to enable collaborative, interdisciplinary research.
The Center for Analysis, Decisions, and Society at HT will focus on data science and big data analysis as applied to health and healthcare, where new methodological and algorithmic approaches will be developed for the analysis of large and complex datasets either generated by the other HT centers or acquired from third parties. CADS will generate original research in the fields of computer science, artificial intelligence, mathematics, statistics and socio-economic sciences. In particular, the multidisciplinary environment of the Center will sustain a unique effort to advance innovative models and analytical solutions for exploring and modeling big and high dimensional data in the analysis of medical and healthcare, including healthcare economics, data. The goals are twofold: data from multiple heterogeneous sources will be integrated and combined to study the possibility of providing tools to support personalized medicine and to evaluate the impact of health policy decisions.
Like the other Heads of HT Research Centers, the Head of CADS will be appointed by the HT Management Committee. S/he will report directly to the HT Director, and will chair the CADS steering committee, which is appointed jointly by the Human Technopole and the Politecnico di Milano. The CADS bylaws establish it as a collaborative endeavor between the two institutions, aimed at setting up joint research teams and lines of activity.
The Head of CADS will be responsible, with the HT Director and the CADS steering committee, for developing a strategy and program for research within the Center, as well as contributing to the collegial development of the overall research program of HT. She/He will be responsible for the execution of the Research Center program, including the recruitment and mentoring of more junior research group leaders. The individual will be an active researcher carrying out high-quality, internationally competitive research and an active contributor to the international scientific community. HT reserves the right to make a more junior appointment should an appropriate candidate be available.
With the other Heads of the Research Center, s/he will also have individual or collective responsibility for setting up HT Core Facilities and IT Services and for hiring senior managers to run them. More generally, s/he will participate in the collegial scientific leadership of HT.
The Head of the Center for Analysis, Decisions, and Society will:
• be responsible for setting programmatic priorities and resource planning
• chair the CADS Steering Committee
• lead her/his own research group and select, lead and mentor younger faculty
• ensure the establishment and maintenance of world-class research within the center
• lead the preparation of center reviews by external expert boards
• participate actively in the overall leadership of HT
• actively pursue improvement of all aspects of HT
• report regularly on the progress of the research center to the HT Director
• build effective links and collaborations within HT
• represent HT and the research center to the HT Supervisory Board and externally
• develop links between HT and other national and international research organizations
• raise third-party research funding and mentor younger faculty in doing so, with particular reference to EU and national funding
• help design and set up internal HT Core Facilities, some also open to external users
• help design the required IT infrastructures and services at HT suitable to support bioinformatic, computational and big data analysis research
The chosen candidate will have an outstanding scientific and research record in areas which might include statistical learning, statistical physics, machine learning and data analytics at large, preferably with an application in the analysis of medical or healthcare systems. Candidates should have 3 or more years of experience in a leadership position as well as in international collaboration.
CADS will work closely with other HT Research Centers. The candidate will possess scientific vision and leadership skills and will wish to develop and work in an open, collaborative environment while mentoring independent younger faculty to fulfil their potential. S/he will have administrative experience and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Basic requirements for the position include a proven record of scientific leadership and at least 10 years of experience in international scientific collaboration. Substantial management and leadership experience within a scientific organization, preferably international, is also an advantage. Excellent organizational skills and a command of English are essential.
Applications should be in English. Please apply online (https://www.htechnopole.it/join-us/Head of Center for Analysis, Decisions and Society) by June 21, submitting the following documents in PDF format:
2. letter of motivation
3. project description – The project description should be 5-6 pages long and include a short description of both current and future research in the candidate’s group as well as a vision for CADS in the context of HT
4. list of names of four potential referees
Questions concerning the role and any queries regarding the terms and conditions should be sent to Directorate@htechnopole.it
HT offers a highly collaborative, international culture. HT will foster top quality, interdisciplinary research by promoting a vibrant environment consisting of independent research groups with access to outstanding graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and core facilities. HT is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to a leading, internationally competitive, research organization and seeks to promote a collegial and family-friendly atmosphere. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for the relocation and installation of the successful candidate and their family.
This is a tenure-eligible appointment.