Job type – head of research group
Discipline – biochemistry, molecular biology, pharmacology, genetics
Hours – full time
Duration – max. period of contract: 31 Dec 2023
Foundation of Polish Science – the largest non-governmental organisation supporting science in Poland, under its project: International Research Agendas (IRAP), funded with European Regional Development Fund, seeks candidates for a position of Group Leaders at International Centre for Translational Eye Research ICTER) – led in Warsaw by prof. Maciej Wojtkowski and prof. Kris Palczewski.
The International Center for Translational Eye Research (ICTER) – a multi-investigator center for eye research as related to imaging and biochemical techniques to support advances in understanding the etiology and treatment and human blinding diseases. Further information on the research priorities and current expertise of our Center can be found at http://www.icter.pl. The positions are generously supported for 3 years, including PI’s staff (post docs, PhD students and a lab coordinator).
The applicants are expected to establish an independent research program related to the eye and with an emphasis in the fields of biochemistry, molecular biology, pharmacology and genetics. The center aims to create a synergistic approach between these disciplines and will take on important questions in vision research. The program will leverage outstanding existing resources at the Polish Academy of Sciences and University College London. International Scientific Committee of the Centre includes top leaders in European vision research. Successful Candidates will be expected to supervise his/her research group and to mentor graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and technical and administrative staff.
Key responsibilities include:
- Establishing new research group,
- Setting research programme,
- Managing and carrying out research,
- Assigning tasks to team members and creating a research schedule,
- Applying for additional funding.
- Full-time employment contract,
- Opportunity to work in an innovative scientific environment,
- International cooperation with experienced researchers,
- Competitive salary (salary and rank will be commensurate with experience),
- Administrative support, including assistance in recruiting technicians, PhD and post-doc, scientists for your group,
- Access to well-staffed core facilities,
- Start-up package and funds allocated to running your group, including equipment purchases and other related expenditures.
- Ph.D. degree,
- Documented work experience in eye research,
- Strong publication record,
- Proven experience in leveraging best practices from research community,
- Working knowledge of biochemistry of eye / or molecular biology / or pharmacology,
- Ability to work in a team and manage projects and people,
- Proficiency in English, both spoken and written,
- Demonstrated leadership.
Please submit the following required documents:
- Cover letter,
- Short research proposal (up to 5 pages),
- Copy of PhD Diploma or equivalent,
- Name and contact information for 3-5 referees
to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly specify in the application topic: Recruitment no. MCBO 3/2020.
Application deadline: 15 June 2020
Successful candidates fulfilling the main eligibility criteria and qualifications will be invited for an interview (which will most likely take place in September 2020). The competition results shall be announced by the end of 2020.
The International Centre for Translational Eye Research (Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS) is committed to employment equality (esp. European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers) and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates fulfilling the requirements specified in this announcement.
The controller of your personal data is the International Centre for Translational Eye Research with its registered office in Warsaw, NIP: 1080023333 (the “ICTER”). ICTER will process your data for the purpose of carrying out scientific and research activities, providing services and contact with ICTER, on the basis of a contract (in connection with the performance of the contract or in order to take action on your request before the contract is concluded – Article 6, paragraph 1, letter b) of GDPR), the legitimate interest of ICTER (Article 6, paragraph 1, letter f) of the GDPR) and legal provisions (Article 6, paragraph 1, letter c) of the GDPR) – depending on the circumstances.
You have the right to: request access to your data, receive a copy of it; rectify (correct) it; delete it; limit its processing; transfer it; lodge a complaint to the supervisory body; withdraw your consent for processing at any time (withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out prior to its withdrawal) or to lodge an objection to data processing. More information is available on the Institute’s website.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 857533 and from the International Research Agendas Programme of the Foundation for Polish Science co-financed by the European Union under the European Regional Development Fund.