Context of intervention
As part of a Research and Technology Organization (RTO), the work of the Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) Department tackles some of the major environmental challenges our society is facing today, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, the efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control. To this end, the mission of the ERIN department is:
(1) To conduct impact-driven scientific research and development, as well as technological innovation
(2) To support companies in the implementation of new environmental regulations and advise governments on determining sustainable policies for the future with the objectives of:
- Analysing, managing and exploiting sustainable resources (water, air, soil, renewable energy, bioresources)
- Reducing the environmental impact of human consumption and production activities
The Sustainable Energy Systems (SES) group Leader will join the Environmental Sustainability Assessment and Circularity (SUSTAIN) Unit of the ERIN department. SUSTAIN is developing knowledge, transferable technologies (software and lab models) and practical methods for the integrative evaluation and management of the sustainability of human driven systems, with particular focus on manufacturing industry, land-territorial management, renewable energy production and smart grids. Its final purpose is to foster sustainable, technology driven eco-innovation in industry and to support sustainability-oriented policy-making.
The SUSTAIN Unit empowers innovation via four expertise areas: 1) Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment 2) Environmental Health 3) Sustainable Energy Systems and 4) Environmental Policies.
The successful applicant will lead the SES group, which presently counts 8 highly motivated researchers. The group develops research, development and innovation activities in the field of energy, with the purpose of accelerating the energy & environmental transition in Luxembourg and abroad. Activities focus particularly on: the integration of renewable energy sources into smart grids; modelling, optimisation, control & forecasting algorithms for energy systems, including decision support tools for operation and planning purposes. Within the framework of the mission of SUSTAIN, the group aims at delivering simplified models of (multi-) energy system components for sustainability assessment. The group´s ambition is to drive knowledge transfer from research to stakeholders in Luxembourg and Greater Region/Europe in these strategic fields.
We are looking for a Group Leader that will manage a team of experienced and highly qualified researchers in sustainable energy systems. Her/his main challenges will be to strengthen a work environment conducive to a constant bubbling of ideas that will allow developing innovative solutions to societal problems. She/He will be responsible for fostering a positive work environment, enhancing good collaboration and teamwork, and for finding relevant synergies with other research groups at LIST and external partners, with special focus on the industrial ones.
The selected applicant will have to further develop and lead SES to become a nationally renowned and internationally visible research group, reaching a critical size and impact within 4 years. To this aim, and depending on her/his previous experience, the Group Leader will leverage different funding schemes at national and EU level, in particular from the Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR) and the Horizon2020/Horizon Europe programmes.
We also expect the successful applicant to
- Establish a strong research infrastructure in the domain of smart distribution energy systems, combining fundamental research with applicable solutions for industry
- Implement a multidisciplinary research approach, taking also advantage of recent advances in ICT and big data analytics, to tackle challenges in the area of smart distribution grids management (planning, operation and control) and digital twins
- Develop new solutions able to manage the growing complexity of distribution power networks related to the growing integration of renewable dispersed generation
- Offer a holistic expertise on efficient, secure and sustainable energy systems at different levels: country, cities, districts and buildings, in particular also taking into account the strong dependence of Luxembourg on its integration in the European electricity grid
The candidates should have an outstanding scientific track record as well as a proven industry experience, respectively a strong record of collaboration with industry.
- Lead a multicultural and multidisciplinary team of researchers and create a stimulating and motivating work environment within the group
- Be hierarchically the person responsible for the group members and assume the operational responsibility of the group’s human resources (be supportive to the team, set together challenging objectives, support the team member’s career development, be an actor of their salary review process, etc.)
- Appraise team members performance, identify personal development needs and promote them, ensure that development plans are effectively implemented
Strategy definition and implementation
- Define and propose in collaboration with the team, a RDI strategy for the group, aligned with the department’s strategy and with LIST missions as an RTO
- Ensure the implementation of the SES group business plan
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of innovative products and services, transferable to the private and public sectors
- Develop relevant external collaborations, partnerships and networks
Research group administration
- Ensure the financial follow-up of the group’s performances
- Manage the portfolio of associated projects and activities
- Be responsible for the scientific and technological outcomes of the group
- Represent the group and promote its achievements internally and externally
Beside these priority responsibilities and missions, the Group Leader shall continue to develop her/his scientific and technology knowledge and directly contribute to RDI projects relying on her/his thematic expertise.
- Hold a PhD in Energy Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Energy Systems, Energy Systems Management, Smart Grids, Physics, or applied mathematics
- The candidate have at least 10 years of post-doctoral experience
- The candidate should have a sound RDI experience in a domain of sustainable energy systems and smart energy distribution systems. A previous experience in a RTO is an asset
- Have a good experience in team management, especially in a competitive RDI environment
- Have a relevant professional experience with project/portfolio management
- Have a proven experience in the acquisition and management of RDI projects (EU or national)
- Demonstrate a proven experience in acquiring and leading multiannual RDI projects
- Show a high-level scientific and technological track record related to the RDI group he/she’s leading
- Demonstrate a strong experience in developing innovative products and services and bringing to the market new technological solutions
- Demonstrate a proven experience in valorizing scientific and technological results (contract research, patents, licenses)
- Have an excellent command of English
- Good knowledge in at least one of the official languages of the country (French, German or Luxembourgish)
Candidates interested in the above position can apply online on our website www.list.lu
The application file should include:
- A CV
- A motivation letter
- The names of two or three referees
- If possible, a list of publication, invited talks, patents and granted projects