About the team/job
EMBL is looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic graphic designer. As a graphic arts disciple, you know the power behind visual design. The European Molecular Biology Laboratory offers you the opportunity to take your creative talent to the next level. You will work closely with our Design Team Lead within the Strategy and Communications team to create materials for both digital and offline channels. Our team values graphic design interns for their strong design sensibility and promotes their professional development during the term.
• Create graphics and design layouts for print ads, flyers, email newsletters, the EMBL website, blog, and social media accounts
• Collaborate with the Strategy and Communications team and support campaigns with design solutions
• Incorporate UI/UX best practices in website design and layout, and adapt designs for different formats
• Illustrations for cover pitches and graphical abstracts
Successful candidates will come to the role with a strong background in graphic arts:
• Prior experience creating graphics and a solid grasp of design concepts
• Comfort working in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
• Illustration skills are an advantage
• Enthusiasm for the design process and attentiveness to different project goals
• Ability to work in collaborative group environment
• Ability to juggle multiple projects
• Creative thinking
• Proactive, self-starter, good work ethic
• Creative problem solver
You might also have
- An excellent command of spoken and written English is required; knowledge of other languages, particularly German, French, Italian or Spanish, is a plus.
- A passion for science is advantageous.
Why join us
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Monterotondo near Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).
What else you need to know
We are looking to cover a 39 hour working week, Monday to Friday. This six month position comes with a stipend up to a maximum of 780 EUR per month and accommodation can be provided if needed and is free of charge. Applicants for internships should be eligible to work in the host country; this position is based in Germany. We’d love to have you join the team! To apply, send us a cover letter, resume, and a sample of your design work. Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs