About the team/job
We are seeking talented and enthusiastic graduates to work with 85 IT professionals who provide High Performance Computing, Web Services, Enterprise Infrastructure and Networking to the EBI’s 850 users. Working in our End User Support team you will form a new service desk function providing first line assistance to EMBL-EBI’s scientific and technical users. This role will develop your IT support & communication skills whilst learning the environment, the processes, the technology we use and how EBI operates.
As well as technical skills, by the end of three years you will have developed the skills and confidence to work independently, diagnose and fix complex IT problems, and contribute your ideas or discuss your experiences in meetings as a member of a successful IT team.
As this role is part of a graduate programme it is limited to a 3 year contract.
- Provide day to day customer focused service desk support to EBI users
- Act as the first point of contact for IT related queries
- Ensure IT requests are logged into the service desk system
- Carry out administrative duties as required to do so by the Desktop Support Team Manager
- Escalation of tickets to the correct team within the Technical Services Cluster, following process and procedures as appropriate
- Communicate with end-users to identify the extent of a technical issue and convey the planned method of resolution in a clear manner
- Work to ensure compliance with FitSM (ITIL equivalent) Incident, Problem and
- Change Management processes and standards
- To work in conjunction with and comply to other technical teams to achieve and deliver quality services
- Ensure the security and confidentiality of personal information of users and EBI data
Applicants should have a first degree or higher education in an IT related subject and/or a professional IT certification.
Additionally, evidence of the following are required;
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent English communication (both written & oral) skills
- Ability to work under pressure within a busy working environment
- Problem solving, an ability to understand & resolve technical issues
- Good understanding of basic IT technology
- Ability to learn quickly, follow written processes and procedures accurately
You might also have
Knowledge of Linux, Windows or MacOS would be beneficial
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.